Wednesday, December 28

Banish That Hillbilly Porch Decor!

I wish I knew how to make nifty accent marks, but hey, who needs to use them when you've also used the word "hillbilly" in the same sentence?

Today we cleared off the front porch. It's not that we use it, er, rather that's been the problem. We first used it as the construction debris holding cell - both bathrooms ended up on the porch until the construction dumpster we rented could be delivered. Unsightly, but functional. Also, perfectly obvious that this is "construction trash", not... you know, the other kind. Then we used it as a staging area for large appliances that had no home yet, for splitting kindling, and for setting the trash somewhere other than the foyer. Again, functional, but growing increasingly unattractive.

Fast forward seven weeks... and ya know, while the toilets and forty tons of plaster and tile have been removed many days past, the washing machine (not a trashed one, but mine) is sitting there, looking quite at home. We've got Ben's cooler sitting out there, too, some fire bricks, the grill, remnants of a horrible trash day episode I'd rather forget, a few other miscellaneous things, stray wood, an axe, and a plethora of pine cones (because no, since you must ask, I cannot start a fire like a normal person and Zorak won't let me rip the paper off the insulation even though it clearly says it will burn... so, the boys collect pine cones and when they've dried on the porch, I use them like mini-bombs to jumpstart the fire in the mornings). But I digress...

The porch had gone from clearly construction trash status to borderline "someone's gonna post this on one of those shame sites" status. And while it bothered us, let's face it, we've had other things to contend with. As long as one could get in and back out without inflicting arterial damage to one's person, it was easy to ignore.

But today - *poof* Like magic, the front porch has gone from slightly imposing and creepy to bright and fresh and "hey, we can hang out here and look for stars". Ooooo. OK, it wasn't magic. We just all got out there and put things where they belonged, swept, and sorted. That was worth the whopping half hour it took, wasn't it? Sadly, yes, it was. I'm just ashamed that it took so long to get around to it. I think Zorak will enjoy the difference when he comes home tomorrow and pulls up to a home that looks lived in rather than squatted in.

The wood was delivered and set far enough away that if we don't use all of it by spring, it won't be an organic beacon for critters to gather near the house over the summer. (Yet, thankfully, slightly uphill, so even I can bring in wood when necessary- just push it with my feet, if I have to. Yay. It's the small things.)

Tomorrow is countertop day! Yippee! Guess I ought to remove the chipboard and mdf we've been using since Christmas night...

The boys had their semi-annual bath tonight. OK, I'm joking. And I realized immediately after writing it that after describing the front porch, I probably shouldn't joke about things like that. Ah, well, it's a weird world. Anyhow, all that just to say it was a normal day. A nice day. A productive day, and a wonderful day. The boys all piled on John's bed for ten minutes of quiet reading time. They just wanted to be together. So I added time to their regular reading time and split it in half - first half together, second half in their own beds. (They do need that alone time, as well - not touching anyone, not talking to anyone - to help unwind a bit). We read stories. Everyone needed water. Random bathroom trips. I know this isn't what every mother envisions for the ultimate bedtime routine, but it feels very good. I'm thankful to have these boys to read to and bring water to, and even to remind for the umpteenth time not to dawdle in the bathroom at bedtime. This whole experience wouldn't be the same without them. And I'm thankful.

Zorak just walked in, kissed me, and said, "Boy, it feels really good to step onto a finished surface." Yes, I'm thankful. And if the weather's nice over the weekend, we can picnic on the front porch.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

melissa said...

It is so easy to forget, while reading your blog, that you are "heavy with child". How's that going?

Sounds like things are starting to shape up a bit, and feel a bit more settled.

The front porch sounds wonderful. BTW, what's Ben got in that cooler? ;-)

Dy said...

He had beer. But I think the guys either drank it, or it ended up in the fridge.

Thanks for asking. This has been The Background Pregnancy all along - pretty much like good shrubbery in a play. You'd notice if something wasn't right, but when it's all going fine, it doesn't really stand out or take center stage. I haven't had any real emotional adjustment time, and I do worry that she'll be stacked by the wood and forgotten. Then I smile when I remember that babies don't let you do that - they're like lighthouses for the soul and will draw you to them. Our next appt. is the 9th. We may, or may not, make it until then. Thankfully, it'll be here at the house so I don't have to deal with traveling "in my condition" (hee hee, that sounds so silly to say).

This has been the second easiest of my pregnancies (James' was a breeze, but we had HVAC and great ceiling fans - I didn't move from under them the last three months). I'm hoping the added physical activity will make it *the* easiest labor. (A girl can hope, right?)

We actually cleaned the front porch so I could put up my Christmas present and get a picture. I'm dying to share it.

Dy

Spinneretta said...

OOOH now I am excited... pictures and presents... what more could you want ;)

~Rachel~

Amy said...

Now, Dy, understand that I'm only telling you this to make you feel better, that it is in the spirit of the sisterhood of mothers that I share this at all.

We call Saturday "Bath Day" around here. And no, I'm not 11 months pregnant. No, we're not in the midst of a major construction project. Actually, having just sold my business I have more time available than ever. But, Saturday is Bath Day.

Not to say we might not slip one in some other time during the week, but Saturday, well, you know.

sisterscooby said...

ahhh thank goodness I am not alone! I have a hill billy driveway complete with an old wooden garage door cause we are just cool like that. We went out on the day before Christmas (with me grumbling the entire time because he needs to work on the HOUSE dangit and not the driveway) and cleaned it up. Its like we have a whole new place!

Laney said...

Nothin' says home like a potty on the porch! *snort*

It sounds wonderful, Dy! I can't wait to see the after pics.

Here's to new countertops! *clink*

J-Lynn said...

Ummm time to get MSN back Dy!

ROFL@your porch and I can imagine how nice it is to drive up to a clean porch now! Little thigns like that really make a home. Ask me how I know. ;-)

HUGS, I can't wait til Emily gets here! Although they don't officially count as seperate beings until they are about a year (think sling) there's *no* way you can ignore them. And the kids can't either. Even when we lay him down we all stop at various times to stroke his hair, kiss his chubby cheeks, or smell his newborness. ;-) God planned this whole cute baby thing pretty well. ;-)

HUGS,
Jess