Friday, December 30

Quick Blog, Then Back to Work

This morning was gloriously beautiful. We awoke to find our meadow, and in fact, our home, encased in a glittery, shimmering fog. I could hear the morning critters scampering about overhead, but could only see the dim shadows of limbs rebounding from some unseen creature's leap. It was magnificient. Zorak and I stood in the kitchen, crouched together in front of the one tiny light sucking hole er, window, both contemplating whether we actually need car insurance or electricity if we could instead use that money to put in a bigger kitchen window now. Mmmm, we decided to wait. It's not always fun to be the GrownUp.

You know, sometimes we feel like cueing up the Team America theme song, and sometimes we feel a lot like Tuck and Roll (from A Bug's Life). It's certainly been an interesting process so far.

The living room is now completely insulated, wired, and sheetrocked. We added one. more. outlet. It's a total pain in the netheregions, but it'll never be less of a pain than it is right now. And after a small scare in the kitchen last night, we've learned our lesson. (I stood there holding the coffee pot, thinking, "Crap. We need more outlets." Turns out they are there, they were just hidden.) We figure we won't ever look around the room and think to ourselves, "Gosh, I sure wish we didn't have an extra outlet in here." When I get done blogging tonight, I'm going to go slap some mud on the screws and then do a little more painting. (We're adding just. one. more layer of paint to the floors. Extra protection for the next five months, as well as changing the color to hide the traffic a bit better.) It's coming along, bit by bit.

Zorak is preparing the bath for priming and then hopefully I can tile it tomorrow. Then it will be done. Finito. El end. Yay.

The boys are doing so well. They're great with Balto (and he's great with them). They love seeing the house tangibly come together each day (there was much dancing and singing to commemorate the completion of the drywall in the living room). They still haven't quite shaken the Ick that descended upon us at Christmas, but from what I've read around the blogosphere, nobody has, so I'm not too worried. I figure if they're eating and getting water and have enough energy to run the property for hours on end, then they're not that bad off. Plus, with all the work going on inside, the more outdoors time they get, the better. (This dog has been an absolute Godsend for my sanity, believe it or not. It doesn't matter what the weather's like outside, or what video they spy in the cabinet, if the puppy is outside, they are outside. How could I not love that?!?)

Three more days of a long weekend to get some serious work done. That feels great. So, I'm off to do a bit more and then to bed with some tea and a book. Have a lovely Saturday, all!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Thom said...

It is SOOO good to have you back in Blogdom...things just weren't the same here without you! :0)

Glad to hear about all of the wonderful progress on the house and the adorable new canine addition to your family!

You'll get that kitchen window eventually! In the meantime, good for you on being a Grown-Up...I struggle with that myself, a bit, LOL!

Amy said...

After watching my husband tile our shower stall this summer you have my complete admiration for taking on the job nine months pregnant.

Your house is coming together so well. If we end up getting the house we looked at today would you and Zorak like to come and visit us for a week ;)

Amy in Apex

Dy said...

ROFL, Amy - I'm only doing the floor. It's a small floor, and tiles are big, too. Trust me, it's nothing like trying to do a vertical surface. Plus, it'll help get this little girl facing the right direction. When we open our work camp for pregnant women, it'll be called, "labor preparation therapy".

J-Lynn said...

Glad you had a great day Dy, that fog sounds wonderful!

Guess what? I may have found a place. It's not forever but I think it's the place before forever and I'm excited about that. Even better, it's half of what we pay here!

Doing the happy dance with you!