Wednesday, January 3

The Nutcracker

Well, THIS was exciting. A year ago, Jacob sat in the farthest row of the highest balcony at the Von Braun Center and watched, mesmerized, as The Nutcracker played out before us. He leaned forward, spellbound, the entire performance, but particularly watching the men's parts - the Nutcracker Prince, the Rat King, the dolls. He was captivated by the power and strength of the dancers. When he asked if he could do that, we had no idea that this December would find him backstage, preparing for his own parts.

All week, he kept whispering at random, "This is what started it all. And I'm here." He was in a bit of a dream world.

He gave his all to every role. As a Party Teen, he was so exuberant and festive. He was so, so great with the little ones on stage. He was a delight to watch.


As a gypsy, he was beautiful and vibrant. I got to watch from the wings one night when he danced that part, and the look on his face as he landed in the final position ... I will carry that image with me to my grave. I've never seen him look so happy, so at home (and this is a kid who is at home in most any setting, so that's saying something).


As half of the dragon, he was entertaining and delightful.

But most of all, he was kind, considerate, and engaged. He even goofed around with me a little bit!


The atmosphere backstage of a Huntsville Ballet Company production is one of the most professional, courteous, and team-driven endeavors I've ever been fortunate enough to witness. (I got to help, too, which was fabulous. Everyone should help backstage at least once, just to appreciate what goes into making the magic happen when the curtain goes up.) I could not have been more proud of him, or more pleased with where he is. They're a good fit, and I'm thankful for that.

For all the things we wish we could go back and do differently, or do better, I really feel like we've hit the sweet spot in encouraging them to pursue excellence, and to work hard at what they love. It's one thing to dream, but it's another to put your effort and hard work into achieving it. That's huge, and I am so thankful that he's doing just that.

Be encouraged!

Dy


3 comments:

Kathy said...

Love the pictures! Glad your boys have found what they want to do with their lives.

My son wants to be a propmaker. I do hope he can make a living at it, although I would like him to have a backup plan. ;)

Dy said...

Kathy, oh, yes, I get that. It's good to have a few irons ready for use if you need them. We tell the kids all the time that you don't ever really regret knowing how to do things. :-D I'm sure they think that's Just Stuff Parents Say, but it's true. And propmaking - that's pretty neat! How'd he find that and discover that he likes it?

Kathy said...

Unfortunately I seem to forge how to do things.

Not exactly sure about propmaking. He won some art awards last year, gold key and silver keys, and some art contests. He made props for some plays, a donkey head and fairy wings for midsummer nights, and he really enjoyed it. I'm trying to find a balance in encouraging him to follow his dreams while being somewhat realistic.