Sunday, August 9

The Sloth is Among Us

It's more of a mindset than an actual animal. (Lest anybody worry that we've taken to importing critters to, erm, supplement our income.) Although, in the interest of full disclosure, if you'd watched me from 2:00 to about 5:00 this afternoon, you'd have been hard-pressed to see any movement.

This weekend wasn't just hot. It was Hot 'n Sticky. I know, I know, Zorak helpfully reminded me that summer's almost over. (It wasn't helpful.) Add to that, our propensity for not being what one would call "Morning People" (so we don't get out and work early in the day), and you have the ready indication that we are also (as I've pointed out before) "Not Farmers". It is a miracle that we've harvested as much as we have from the garden. Once we found it among the weeds, that is. And after the flush of excitement wore off (about three seconds after the last item hit the bag), we mutinied against our Beloved Commander and headed for the house.

See, he has a work ethic that demands he get things done on the property, no matter how unholy the weather, or how miserable the conditions. So, although he may not get up and at 'em bright and early and go scattering cliches about the property, he still gets work done. Even if that means doing it in the hottest part of the day. While the children and I (lacking such ethic, and sweating profusely) keep edging nearer and nearer the house, keeping in the shade of the trees, in the hope we can make a break for it while he's on the other side of the barn.

I can't blame the boys for taking 30 minutes to "get a glass of water". They'd blow the glass, themselves, if they thought it would buy them some time. And, they do come by it honestly. You should see my lovely, hand-crafted ice cubes. I'm sure that added touch makes Zorak feel much better when he comes in, looking for us.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

2 comments:

Jenni said...

I love this line:
"So, although he may not get up and at 'em bright and early and go scattering cliches about the property, he still gets work done."

We've been staying up later and later (well, for us) the past few weeks. That makes it pretty hard for me to be my usual early bird self. School starts Wednesday, so that means we've got to get back on schedule and I've got to start doing the morning feeding of the animals again. (I mean the horses, dogs, cats, and goat, but the wild creatures that live inside should probably be fed, too.) I'll need to be outside feeding the animals by 6:15 so I can be showered and ready instead of in my pjs and smelling like a horse when I take the kids to school at 7:45. Yeah, we'll see how that goes. I've been known to drive the kids to school in my pjs and barn stink before. For now I'm just going to picture myself rolling out of the bed at the crack of dawn, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, little Miss Suzy Sunshine rarin' to go, skipping out the door in my mud boots, basket on my arm, ready to scatter cliches (and sunshine and hearts and flowers) all along the dewy path of morning. Yeah, that's the ticket;o)

Dy said...

LOL, Jenni. Believe it or not, I thought of you after I typed that. In a good way, though.

I thought of you, again, when I contemplated buying some muck boots. But then, mine would be mostly for show, whereas yours get Used Properly.