Thursday, June 25

It's not all nosebleeds and starting fluid

But it's felt that way.

We pretty much slept through Sunday, although we kinda-sorta made it to church. None of us was rested up. The Adults were a little off our game (namely defense), and the Littles were on FIRE. We sat in the back, which was a bad call, as EmBaby refuses to believe Pastor is talking to *her* if she cannot see him. She talked, hummed, sang the whole time. I suggested to John that perhaps she has Pentecostal blood. (The story being fresh in his head of the time I took my strict Southern Baptist mother to a FourSquare Pentecostal service, and the prophecy of the morning seemed directed pointedly at her, he got it.)

Zorak got even later on, though, when Jase started throwing things (mostly hymnals and Bibles, since I don't have a purse to ransack) into the aisle before I could react, and John had to bury his head between his legs to keep from cracking up. Zorak whispered to James, "Pretend we don't know them." Honestly, we are not usually an irreverent wrecking crew. We probably should have just slept in, in retrospect, but we were trying to the right thing. We hope to make it up at the pot luck this Sunday.

The rest of the week has been a bit of a blur. John's had a few nosebleeds, which is weird, since he's not a bleeder, really. We stayed home from the art-oriented reading thing, since we figured nobody would appreciate an impromptu exercise in hazmat containment. I keep checking him for other symptoms. Any symptoms. So far, nothing, but if it keeps up, we brave the malarial swamp to see the Wonderful Doctor.

EmBaby, Jase and I, all three, seem to have developed some kind of pre-summer narcoleptic superpower -- able to fall asleep at the slightest provocation any time between two and five. Thankfully, I haven't gone down while they're still up. But it's a struggle. I can only envision the Bigs taking wild advantage of that by eating all the chocolate chips in the pantry and playing video games until their eyes pop from their heads.

James has a new hobby. He's taken to mocking my first attempt at starting the car, loudly (and somewhat humorously, to be honest) wondering why I don't just pop the hood, spray it, and *then* try, instead of going the long way around. If I had a good reason, I'd share it with him. Totally irrational hope. That's all I've got. We thought we'd found a good replacement vehicle, but it turned out not to have the third row seat. Three of the five children balked at the idea of riding on the bumper buddy (Smidge thought it sounded fun), so we figure that extra seating is somewhat integral to the new car criteria. Still looking. :-)

And the days just keep coming and coming. I've got to go in for the follow-up on Joe tomorrow. (Thank God they called to remind me, or I'd have been wondering around mid-August if maybe I wasn't forgetting something.)

Meanwhile, the garden keeps on growing. The compost-raiding raccoons keep getting fatter. The pears are coming along beautifully and seem to have stopped dropping at a horrifying rate. The "blueberries" sign is out at the intersection. (We don't know for sure what's down there, and that's literally all the sign says, "blueberries". We suspect there is a pick-your-own farm somewhere down that road, but nobody in town seems to have been there. Ever. It's a bit odd, but now our curiosity is piqued.)

We did have a wonderful experience last week, though. The Suburban wouldn't start (not the wonderful part), and the starting fluid was empty (definitely not the wonderful part). I called down to the corner store to see if some kind soul would be willing to drive a can to us. (Because yes, we do live in the wonderful kind of small town where you can do that.) The sweet gal at the corner got off in a few minutes, and ran us up a can. *happy sigh* That's the wonderful part. It's nice to know you're only as stranded as the nearest helpful soul, isn't it?

I've heard it said it'll be the little things that break you, and to some extent, I think that's true. But I also believe it's the little things -- the humor, the kindness, the grace, the encouragement -- that get you through, and put it all in perspective. So, blurry as this week's been, it's been full of the right kind of little things, and that's good stuff.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

mere said...

Oh. I AM so sorry that the car did not work out. I'll continue to pray that God will provide that for you, and very soon.

We've had our own bump in the road this week. Inexplicably our TV is now a 150 pound paper weight--it will not turn on. I'm convinced that the LORD is preparing us for the simple life, so I am trying to see this as a blessing, but there were many times yesterday when I really wanted the boob tube baby sitter to take over for a while, you know?!

I hope you get to the bottom of the nosebleeds!

mere

shannon said...

we've been having nosebleeds here too- mostly due to changes in barometric pressure. the advice I got was to rub some vaseline on a qtip and coat the inside of the nose- which helps moisturize in there and then less nosebleeds.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Hey, I've developed the Narcoleptic Superpower, too! (But in the morning, during quiet time.) Only my "bigs" are still little, which means that it is NOT good if I actually succumb. :) Who knows what they'd get into while I'm out?

Jennie C. said...

You know, a couple of weeks ago, a friend called me up just minutes after I got home. Her husband was going in for emergency surgery and she just wanted someone to come over and pick up her two little girls so she could go straight to the hospital. I was the third person she'd called. I spent the rest of the day wondering what kind of people say, "No!" in a situation like that.

When Davey got home, I told him about that. "I think," I said, "that if I called up any of the women I know here, they'd drop everything and be here in a heartbeat." He nodded and replied, "You could call a perfect stranger here and they'd drop everything and be here in a heartbeat."

That's true. When we called 911 for Jonny when he got kicked by the mule, it was the neighbors who got here first, and they stayed with us and took care of what needed doing until the ambulance arrived. The funny thing is that my friend lives in the same town as we do. She's just attached to military community while we've latched onto the locals. Big difference, huh?

I love these people so much! Reading your Suburban tale made me want to share. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful sharing Dy ~ such sweet adventures you have. Best of luck with the new vehicle, the Sunday church potluck, and exploration blueberry!!

Pamela