Saturday, June 20

And then a week later...

Good heavens, where has the week gone?

Granny, brother-in-law, and his friend left tonight for a straight 20-hour drive home. It was hard to see them go, but the friend is anxious to be home. In the week he's been gone, his family has been under evacuation for wild fires, he had a ton of work come into his shop, and then one of his littles fell ill with a mystery illness. If you would, please say a prayer that they'll arrive home, safe and sound, with good tailwinds to urge them on.

I can't believe how quickly the week flew! The kids had a wonderful time, wallowing in Granny's affections. Granny had a wonderful time soaking up the children and all their joyful love. Zorak and I accomplished an unbelievable amount of work, since Granny was able to make sure the children were not starving, or killing one another, or dismantling the foundations of the house while we worked.

Granny said next time she comes, she's coming in April. Or January. Or the middle of the night. Whenever it's not hot'n'sticky. Poor Granny.

We got the first half of the stain on the balcony (seven hours of squatting, kneeling, and stooping -- my thighs feel like I've been chased cross country by Susan Powter), and we put up the first 80-thousand or so pickets. It's very nearly Jason-proof, if he stays in the corner that's finished, anyway, and looks spectacular. If you look in the corner that's finished.

We cleared enough limbs and vines and brambles from the creek bank that we unearthed a little sandy, beach-like area. It's full of dragonflies and spring frogs and birds. It's shady and quiet. We sat down with the kids, and it was so idyllic that it took an act of God to get us up and moving again. (Mosquitoes, to be precise.)

We hung a tire swing down by the barn. The kids have played more on that this week than they have on the swing set in the back yard in the last two years.

We found a bridge! There's a bridge across the creek! Four years here, and I'm pretty sure I never knew that. Zorak knew, and he swears I knew, but it didn't ring a bell with me, at all.

So, we're making more progress on the property. And I seem to be delving into early senility. Good to know.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

3 comments:

Jennie C. said...

Early Onset Senility. I've got it, too. It does allow your spouse and children to take advantage of you, but on the other hand, you can be pleasantly surpised by the same thing multiple times. That's gotta be worth something. :-)

Anniesue said...

A tire swing by a barn? Sounds like kid heaven!!! I'm glad you had a great visit!

Anonymous said...

I tell my sweetie I am going to write things down and make him sign that he knows things, cuz the “gee, you’re crazy” looks get me wonderin some times:)

Bless Granny's heart, that heat and humid thing is really something. I finally figured out visiting the Midwest in-laws is perfect in October! We use to go in July or August ~ argh...what were we thinking?

Enjoy your sweet creek discoveries, the tire swing, Granny memories, and all the other precious moments in your forever home.

Thanks for sharing.

Pamela