Monday, June 8

Gah.

The Summer Reading program start date is upon us. The last few years, it wasn't too bad. Required no actual changes on our part, other than simply recording what we read, instead of just reading it. OK. But this year, they're requiring that we attend some hohah twice a week. And they're doing "themes" each week. Themes? Is this tied to the reading, or is this simply something "new" from the enthusiastic librarian? They've released no actual information, but it looks like it's just "something new"! (New librarian. Very enthusiastic. Perhaps overly so. *shrug*) I had no intention of doing it, but they put up ENORMOUS signs all over town. And, since two of five can read, well, I'm stuck.

I'd rather just stay home, read books, make our own pizza. For one thing, I'm always up for a reason to buy more books! For another, it's hot out there, why not stay in?

And getting back to the themes thing... arts & crafts (because I just don't have enough junk laying around my house), movement (in a tiny, one-room library, I'm thinking this is not the best activity), music (I'd rather stay home and read, or introduce the kids to John Prine...), and finally storytelling and drama (ah! the only one that's conceivably connected to reading!) Twice a week, they want us there. This may cause me to miss the old plan, which was pizza coupons for our local pizza joint. I never thought I'd look fondly on those days.

Lest you think I'm getting cynical, a little background on that. Our local pizza joint has... some serious issues. Their buffet is smaller than your average apartment kitchen counter. And yet, it takes up a huge proportion of the eating area. Not really a big deal, just don't order the buffet. But they love to have karaoke nights (complete with equipment that takes up the remaining space and makes getting to the bathroom an Olympic track event). And sports nights (creating a unique "surround sound" atmosphere, accomplished by turning the volume on each cheap TV up to full-on distortion level). They leave the doors open, so you freeze in the winter and have to battle the flies in the summer. If they hired a guy to pee in the corner occasionally, it would be a lot like being in NYC on a major holiday.

So, if you need something to do today, swing by the library. I'll be the one in the corner, twitching and trying to hide the flask.

8 comments:

Erin said...

Will you share the contents of the flask?

Jenni said...

LOL! We never really got into the reading programs. I'd get the kids started, but they just had no desire to do any of the stuff and were not motivated to read more by the offer of prizes.

We do have a new and very enthusiastic librarian at our tiny library this year. She. Is. Wonderful. She has so many terrific new ideas about how to get more people from the community coming in to the the library. She wants to start a farmers market outside the library on Thursday evenings. (I've been wishing for a farmers market here.) She's rearranged the whole library to make it brighter, more cheerful, and easier to use. I have no idea what the summer reading program is about, and my kids are really a bit old for it anyway, but I'm going to find out today. I got a call on Friday asking if I would organize and run the scavenger hunt. Gotta go in and see what that's all about and what exactly they're expecting. It sounds like fun!

mere said...

If we ever come to visit I would want to see that pizza joint...maybe not eat there, but it sounds like a total hoot!

We just got back from the library, too. The older boys both have their forms, and once they are filled up they will receive a free book. Doesn't that make sense? I got some books too that will hopefully improve my collection of barterable skills;-) I passed up one about treehouses, but may go back for that one.

What was in the flask?

mere

Urban Mom said...

It's a mixed blessing sometimes that they can read, huh? (hee hee)

Good for you for giving it a shot.

If you want it to be like Chicago, have some guy with a change cup yelling, "help me ouuuuuut!" Or perhaps one of those chuggers -- charity muggers. Every other day it's a different cause at the corner. Save the kids, save the ozone, save the whales. Save me my time, people!

Anonymous said...

ow, doesn't sound like much fun...good luck!

How are you feeling btw? Joe? gone for good?

Hugs
Kathy

Dy said...

Kathy, no, Joe's still there, but things are improved. They were only able to blast about half of it. I have to go back in July (ack!) and do it all over again. Hopefully, that'll do the trick. Thanks for asking.

Dy

Gem said...

Summer Reading Programs have annoyed me since I was 8 or 9 and the librarian (teen put in charge) wanted to require me to write a report on the 10-15 books per week I was taking home b/c she didn't believe I was reading them all. I quit instead, and went to the library another day of the week to get my 15 books. Then I went to work at the library and became the teen in charge, lol. My girls have signed up several times, but we never remember to write the books down or go on the right days, lol.

Anonymous said...

Hope Joe isn't giving you too much trouble then. I know you will be glad to say goodbye to him though.