Wednesday, January 5

Looking Ahead

Man, oh man, what a year behind us, and what a year ahead of us! Jase has grown so very much. He's bigger now than Smidge was when we first moved here. That just doesn't seem possible, but considering EmBaby's coming up on five, and she wasn't even a dirty thought yet when we got here, I guess that makes sense.

He's really changed so much this year - got in his two-year molars (that was fun - you'd think, by the fifth child, we would automatically suspect that, but no, I spent a week wondering if he'd been bitten by something that was making him miserable and weepy), he ditched the diapers and the toddler bed. All that was left was a haircut, and we'd be waving goodbye to the last of the Truly Baby Years.
We hated to do it. He's got curls in the back, and he can pull off a carefree surfer dude thing without any real effort. Unfortunately, his hair is baby fine and he has enough for four toddlers. Add in how much time we spend outside, either on the trail or wrestling the dog, and you have the perfect recipe for having that one child who looks homeless more often than he looks cherubic and clean, and... well, we had to do it.
He did beautifully - had a blast, no trauma, and he got a great cut. It helped that Michelle, the lady who cut his hair, was a sweet, patient, funny lady who didn't mind that he has his own entourage/vaudeville act that follows him around. Honestly, sometimes I wish we'd had a pack of children living with us already when we had James. Siblings just make every outing an adventure, and every new milestone something fun and interesting. Jase has it good.

I have no clue what this year has in store for him, but I know it'll include adventure. Probably scraped knees and a few tears, but hopefully they will pale in comparison to the wonder of new things and places, the joy of people and laughter. I'm glad we get to enjoy it, and him. We are so very, very blessed.
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

mere said...

Isn't he just so cute!!!!! Or should I say handsome?

I know what you mean about not wanting to cut the baby's hair...I cannot bring myself to cut Joe's curls, but I know that it will have to be done eventually. Yes, you are blessed!

mere

Anonymous said...

awwww he is so precious!!

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Oh my, I can't believe how much he's grown!

I agree with you about the siblings thing - everything is such an adventure for our third son, because it is met with great excitement from the older two (along with fascinating commentary...) Lots of fun!

I'm so glad you're blogging again!

Pam G-O said...

Wow, wasn't it last week you were in labor?
Your baby is adorable, as are all the children.
I love your comment about how great it is to have siblings. My heart is smiling right along with y'all.
Thanks for sharing.
Pam