Tuesday, July 7

Firefly and Foliage

First, Firefly. That's pretty much how I've spent my free time in the wee hours of the night this week. How did I ignore that gem up to this point? How fun!

And then, Foliage. After a few weeks of relatively blissful, personally comfortable (yet botanically terrifying) dry weather, the rain finally came, rejuvenating both the Cambodian-style jungle, as well as the humidity. Well, *and* the meadows. Pretty much everything. We can't breathe in the humidity, and I swear you can actually *see* things growing, which is a little creepy for born and raised Desert dwellers. But then again, the oak trees above the balcony don't look like they're about to burst into flame, taking the house down in the conflagration. Eh. It's sort of a toss-up. In all, we're thankful for the rain, even with the accompanying humidity. Four years ago, I'm not sure we'd have said that!

Zorak's still battling the mower. He took it in to the mower shop last week. This was big, as he's not one for taking things in when he could do it, himself. However, he was stumped. The thing's getting spark, fuel, and air. It's got power. But it just. won't. start. He explained it to them. They looked at him with that semi-patronizing look professionals reserve for non-professionals, but he understood. It doesn't make any sense, at all. A week and $65 later, they called. They're stumped, too.

He kept at it, though, and has come further down the road of diagnosis. Today, he picked up another part for the mower. (At some point, we'll have a new mower, altogether! Kind of exciting.) Right now, though, we're just hoping for one that works, before the rest of the land gets reclaimed by the lush jungle foliage and we start losing children in there. The new part looks promising! Let it rain!

Kiss those babies,
~Dy

6 comments:

shannon said...

the older two boys experienced fireflies for the first time in Williamsburg. I havent seen them since I left Tennessee in 1984!

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Firefly is the best television ever made. So glad you're enjoying it!

Dy said...

Oh, Shannon, not fireflies. (Though those are cool! We have them here. It's like a little treat for not offing myself come summer.)

I'm talking "Firefly", the show. (http://www.hulu.com/firefly) As a friend put it the other day, "libertarian cowboys in space!" And Capt. Mal is all kinds of awesome.

shannon said...

heh- well no wonder i had no clue. i havent seen any show in forever. i have yet to jump into hulu- I spend enough time on the computer!

just the other day Mike asked me How are they? And it was Jon and Kate - on a magazine cover. I told him - just people who've become famous since 4 yrs ago we've gone tvless.

mere said...

Finished watching the first episode this A.M. before the kids got up.

Yessiree, I think I like it.

mere

Laura said...

Steve and I have that series and loved it! I'm so sad that it was only on for one year!