Tuesday, October 18

A Beautiful Day for a Hike

The boys chose to complete their Hiking Merit Badge this year. This means we need to complete five 10-mile hikes, and one 20-mile hike. I've been... um, not hiking for the last 15 years. So, in order to ease me into this plan slowly, and to get a grip on what we need to gear up with (not to mention to ease me into this...) we decided to do a few trial hikes (of significantly fewer miles) to start.
 Zorak had Jake and Em at Cub Haunted this weekend, so the rest of us did a quick two-miler. The boys carried their 10 essentials and water for everyone. Jase got into the action, too -- he packed his bag with a ball, a truck, Gary the snail, and some pork rinds. I carried Jase part of the way in the Kelty carrier - but he was eager to put some miles on his wee feet, too. Also, we learned he does not need to be eased into this! (He did ask that we stop for a little playtime and a snack, though. Who are we to deny such a cheerful request? It was nice to sit in the beautiful weather and just be, visit, watch. Good stuff.)
We hiked along the river, and enjoyed the cool air, the dappled trail, the amazing birds. It was pretty great. Our pace? Deplorable. Or attitudes? Not bad. If we can get out the door a little faster, and with fewer reminders, I think we could get the hang of this and enjoy many miles along the Alabama trails.
Over the years, I've jokingly told the children that at least one of them needs to develop a love of backpacking, so I'll have a buddy to hike the Appalachian Trail with me one day. Wouldn't it be great if I had several? Yeah, I thought so, too.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Wonderful! I still need to coax four hikes out of my 15yo to wrap up the badge.

Anonymous said...

If you can't coax them into hiking the Appalachian with you some day, give me a call. I'll go with ya. :-)

Kathy said...

oh wow, I hadn't looked at the hiking merit badge...a 20 mile hike??...good idea to work up to that. It looks like the boys had a great time. Glad you had a beautiful day to make memories.

I was thinking my boy could do the biking one at some point...he is still trying to finish up first aid, citizenship in community, world and family life and working on robotics now...the things we do for our children. :-D

Dy said...

Kathy, you're doing great things! He will be so glad he's accomplished them, even if he takes some prodding now. :-) Our current plan is to take the five 10-mile hikes and do three 10's, one 12-miler, and one 15-miler. Hopefully, that will build up enough stamina for us that the 20-mile hike won't also give us experience with an medical air-vac situation. (As cool as a helicopter ride would be...)

Dawn, we should do that! A post-child-rearing adventure! I'd be up for it, by then. :-)

Heidi, I'd love to see where you end up hiking. We still haven't nailed down ours, yet. I'd love to make at least one of them somewhere out West - the Grand Canyon, or Havasupai, or the Verde Valley. It would be wonderful to hike with them some place that I've hiked before, and kind of cool to do it for a badge.