Sunday, April 24

Color us contented!

We are notoriously non-crafty people, Zorak and I. As such, we tend to forget (or blow off) the craftier aspects of holidays. Paper chains, doily hearts, and even, I'm sorry to say, Easter eggs. Every year we insist to one another that we'll do better. Every year, we experience some kind of neurological twitch that blows the whole thing, and the kids end up bringing us unearthed boxes of egg dye in September, asking if we can use them now. Well, not this year!

This year, we dyed those eggs. There were rainbows, and layers, and wax. (And plenty of supplies, from prior years' boxes...) The kids really got into it, and just did a fantastic job. As a matter of fact, we're so flush with the joy of pulling it off that I'm thinking next year we'll go Big Time and try Pysanky. (That gives me a year to remember to buy/build/borrow the pens... someone remind me of that in a couple of months?)

I think a few factors really came into play. One, the balcony. There's room, there's light, and there's absolutely no worry about messes. It's like having an actual studio right off the school room, but one I don't have to *clean*. Another is the round yard sale table Zorak picked up last year. It's a fantastic table for doing crafty things - sturdy enough to handle Jase clambering about on it, large enough to fit everybody comfortably working around it, and at $10, I don't feel compelled to worry if it gets stained. Actually, between the Christmas cookies, the gingerbread houses, the kite-making, and now the eggs, it's starting to look quite colorful and festive.



The kids and their attitudes make the whole process infinitely more enjoyable than we are prone to expect it to be. I love them for that. And finally, I think we're just wrapping our minds around how much these things can mean to the little guys when we can relax and let it be about what it ought to be about: spending time together, doing something delightful, learning something new, and enjoying the whole thing. So, that's what we're doing. Pretty crafty!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

11 comments:

Jennie C. said...

This was the first year we almost DIDN'T dye Easter eggs, but fortunately, the big girls took over and they got it all done and cleaned up while us tired grown ups relaxed on the couch. I LOVE big kids!

Dy said...

Yes! LOL! Big kids are awesome! I love that they took that ball and ran with it.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

We didn't manage it yesterday - too much to cram into one day with church and the egg hunt and a big dinner! I'm planning to do it today. For the future, though, I'm kind of thinking about switching egg dying to Holy Saturday. It is such a relaxed day - seems like just the right time for a project of that sort.

Love your photos, and I agree that your table and deck would make it all less stressful and more fun!

momanna98 said...

Howdy! I havn't been here in forever, but I wanted to check on you guys to make sure everyone was ok after the storms!

Heidi said...

Please let us know if you were affected by the rash of tornadoes this week.

Dy said...

We are okay. I can't blog from my phone, and had assumed I wouldn't be able to comment, either, but it looks like this will work.

We still don’t have power. They are working hard and fast, getting hospitals and food stores back up and running. It's amazing how much they've accomplished. We're in a good spot, though, as we have propane, water, food, and a generator. Friends came to weather it out here, and brought some supplies, as well, to share.

Phone line came back online yesterday. Cell towers stabilized yesterday, too, so now we have signal at the house.

Thank you for checking on us, and for inspiring the idea to make contact through comments.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I'm so glad that you're ok!

Heidi said...

You seem better prepared than most to get along for a week or two if need be. Pleases to know that life and limb, home and hearth are all in good working order. So many others in such need right now. Our prayers are with you all.

Jules said...

You were in my thoughts several times in the past week when I would see reports of the damage down there.
Glad to hear you are all okay!

Anonymous said...

So thankful that you all are ok!! Glad you all were more prepared -that Boy Scout training comes in good. Keep us posted when you can.
Such a sad time...dh's hometown lost 3 people in a tornado last week. The damage is hard to take in...
hugs
Kathy

momanna98 said...

So glad you all are ok and doing well!