Saturday, November 14

Kefir, The Learning Curve

I'm filing this under "Not Quite Gardening". I mean, okay, it's nowhere near gardening. But the Kefir is, technically alive, so it's kind of like having livestock. But I don't have a livestock category. Actually, it feels more like we're raising Sea Monkeys. But since we've never had much luck with those, we're calling them livestock. And we're filing it under gardening. (Yeah, you should see our filing system for bills!)

So, we got some milk kefir grains, and some water kefir grains. And we got them set up and doing their thing in the sunny spot on the counter. (I feel compelled to point out that this is *not* what ours look like. This is a generic kefir-picture. You don't want to see what ours looks like right now.) And then we forgot about them for a few days. Or, I should say, a few days longer than we're supposed to forget about them. Not that they just sat there. The boys picked them up and swirled them about every time they entered or left the kitchen. (I found myself wondering if this may be what went wrong with the Sea Monkeys.) But we didn't strain it when we should have strained it.

And so, yesterday, I strained. And strained. And tried not to breathe through my mouth. (Because honestly, I don't really enjoy the way things smell in their natural state. I like the way fish doesn't smell at the store. I like the way processed vitamins don't smell like a cow puked in the bottle. And, I like things that do not smell... fermented. Even if they are... fermented. Which is why I prefer wine to beer.) And strained some more.

At this point, it would be SO handy if I had any clue what I'm doing. But I don't. If you use kefir, please comment. Please fill me in. You can laugh, I don't care (we did!) But HELP!

We have "kefir", in the milk-form, that one would traditionally *cringe* drink straight up. But this is strong, so I'm hoping this next batch will mellow it out a bit. (Can I cook with this? Put it in bread? Or would that be mass kefircide?) The grains are back in fresh milk, and there's some thick stuff that we are bound and determined to turn into a dip of some sort. (Garlic makes everything better.)

And then, we have the kefir water. To which, we added grape juice to make kefir soda. My gag reflex is still going strong. The kids, however, *loved* it! Drank almost all of it over lunch. It's good for them. They like it. Life is good. Even when the learning curve is really, really steep.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

9 comments:

Rebel said...

No advice whatsoever, but ewww. I gagged just reading this.

Dy said...

LOL. The kids loved it. But then, they eat more naturally than I ever had before the age of 20... or 30. So, I'm sure their taste buds (and wee noses) are made of stouter stuff than mine!

We're going to try using the kefir in smoothies tonight. I wish I hadn't sent Zorak with the camera...

mere said...

I am so sorry, I cannot help you. my tries with kefir were dismal, grisly failures.

However if you ever need any help with kombucha, you know who to call!

mere

Konkadoo said...

I tried kefir once from some grains someone gave me. I killed it. I can't keep plants alive, let alone microscopic fermenting critters.

Dy said...

I know, Mere, and I'm so glad! If I ever get my hands on some SCOBYs, you'll get so many calls from me, you may start screening your calls. ;-)

Cheryl, yeah... I hear ya. So far, so good. (But it's been less than a week, so I'm NOT saying we can pull this off, yet.)

Ritsumei said...

I'm just so entertained by this post! I've been contemplating kefir... I'm sure that if I'd done it this post would be on my blog. I'll be watching with interest to see how this goes. I know a lady that would probably give me grains. The question is, am I brave enough??

Noise Maker said...

Dy, did you ever identify that tree? Try googling blackgum, I think that may be it.

Abiga/Karen said...

Wwe got some kefir grains awhile back and had to keep making some small batches to get the bad taste out. The directions said to do this. Te first couple batches were ok as smoothies but now, double, triple yuck. It keeps coming out terrible and spoiled tasting so we just his them away in the frig for now and went back to yogurt. We oriinally used kefir powder and it came out much better tasting but you run out of powder eventually. So sorry no help here but we agree!!!! Blessings.

Ritsumei said...

Have you seen this lady's blog, Dy? She's got a post on how she uses the kefir.