Sunday, November 8

And then, all at once...

Wednesday was my surgery. This was the dental surgery that we've been putting off, saving for, then putting off some more, for a year and a half. Yeah, nothing like letting your dual natures duke it out while you stand back to see what happens, right?

For me, it was less harrowing than I'd feared. Significantly so. Kudos to general anesthesia and Percocet! For Zorak, it was... probably about as bad as he feared. I'm not sure. I still catch him looking at me occasionally like I'm a half-starved, Parvo-stricken puppy he found in a back alley (which, to be completely honest, freaks me out, because I *feel* fine... until I see him looking at me like that).

I stayed contentedly drugged up for the first two days, then eased up so I could function and remember when to take what. (MUCH easier to do if you're not leaning too heavily on the pain killers, and I have enough respect for chemical reactions not to taunt the Clotting Gods by drinking alcohol.) Even so, the rest of that week is a bit of a blur.

The doctors were wonderful about filling me in on what to expect, from the swelling, to the fact that the surgery was extensive enough to alter the shape of my face. The swelling was quite impressive, and somewhere around day five, I began to worry that perhaps the Manimal snout was the new shape of my face. (Thankful for health, and bone grafting and technology, but there were a few Panicky Vanity moments. I'm not going to lie!) The doctor was able to do all that he'd hoped to do, so that was good, and the follow-up visits I've had indicate things are healing well. I am also happy to say that I'm free of cheezy, early-80's special effects.

In the meantime, Halloween and all its attendant activities were in full swing. The boys got to give their outfits another round at the Reformation Party at church. This was the first year for it, and it was, from all accounts and pictures, a fantastic success. Pastor's wife put it together as a spur of the moment thing, and she did an amazing job. I'd give body parts to have her organizational skills and talent for party hosting! Next year, we'll plan ahead more and she'll have more help.

Then, Halloween. Good stuff. Busy stuff. I slept. Also good stuff.

The kids shared all their softer candies with me - peanut butter cups, mostly. So sweet, and so thoughtful. (Also, so tasty!)

And, that pretty much brings us up to the present! I'll post pictures separately, because they don't want to be in with the surgery re-cap.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Wow, Dy, that sounds like awful surgery. I'm glad you're healing well. Is this the last for all your dental work? Please tell me you don't have to deal with more of this???

Dy said...

No, Em, this was the worst of it. Now it's over with (and it really wasn't nearly as bad as I was afraid it would be - physically, or psychologically).

From here on in, we get to veer back into the realm of normal dentistry. I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to getting a crown, you know? :-P

Robb said...

What type of surgery did you have?
GLad you are mending well and eating candy!

Robb

Melora said...

Wow! Sounds pretty awful, but how wonderful that it is done & went well! You are definitely due a year of flawless health in 2010 (and I sure wish I could hand those out!).

Anonymous said...

oh Dy, I am so sorry...so very glad it is over. Praying for healing.
Hugs and prayers
Kathy

Dy said...

Kathy, feeling pretty good! We hope to be down your way, enjoying the rest of my birthday rum, in the not-too-distant future!

Melora, yeah, that'd be handy, huh? Although I know we got off easy, in the grand scheme of things.

Robb, this was mostly bone grafting in this surgery. They did set a few implant posts, and do some soft tissue grafting, too, but the bulk of the work was rebuilding/reshaping the upper jaw. I'm SO thankful it wasn't the lower jaw!