Wednesday, October 6

Book Review & Lovely Mornings!

Eats, Shoots & Leaves is a wonderful book. It isn't the direction Lynne Truss offers us on proper punctuation that makes it such a fun and engaging read; it's her style. If you were to visit a quirky little village called Punctuation Towne, she'd be the local you would want to connect with early on in your visit. She puts her arm in yours and takes off down the boardwalk, pointing out the local color, sharing wonderful anecdotes about famous visitors, expounding on the local points of interest- all with an eye for the truly interesting that only a local can have. I haven't come up with a food category for Eats, Shoots & Leaves, but this is the book that will take you to the best local breakfast diner, the ultimate little bakery, and, if you pay attention, you'll also find the local brewery. After her tour, you feel you could find each one again without much fretting or frantic roaming.

It's FIFTY! Yep, fifty degrees at nine in the morning. Ahhhh, feel that Crisp! Feel that Chill! Feel that Fall! The boys are freezing, but it is just beautiful outside this morning! The car windows in the parking lot were frosted when I peeked out earlier, and the dew seemed crystallized on the lawn. Mmm, this is the good stuff! As a matter of fact, it calls for a snuggle on the couch in our jammies and some hot chocolate to start the day...

I can't believe Summer is finally at an end. While my mind knew it would end, my heart was so weary from the heat and the stickiness that it had honestly begun to wonder... sort of like the little child who just knows it takes a full year to get from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

Off to enjoy the Fall air!
Dy

2 comments:

Julie D. said...

Thanks for the review. My husband has this book but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Yours is the second review I've seen within the week so I'll have to remember to snag it and get started!

Anonymous said...

Dy,
Last night I was reading our 5yob a book while settling him down for the night. The window was open and I said, "M, do you smell fall?" "Yes, it smells so clean."

We've smelled fall here for about two weeks. This is the first year I remember my kids commenting on it. Oldest ds (9) walked outside and in amazement said, "Smell the air Mom. What's different? Why does it smell so good?" I explained that the smell was fall. We took a walk later in the evening. It was wonderful.

I didn't know anyone else "smelled" fall.

Reminds me of goats milk. I can't stand it. People ask me why. Well....it tastes like the goat smells!!!!

Oh.....back to the fall smell. Don't want to leave you with the wrong smell.

Michele