Tuesday, June 28

Scout Stuff

The 4th of July celebrations bring us another opportunity for community involvement this year at the Spirit of America Festival at Point Mallard. The park opens the area to community organizations and vendors, and the whole celebration is a delight for all who come. Last year, the heat was oppressive, and yet it was still a wonderful time -- I can hardly wait for this year's events.

In preparation, our Den will be making new neckerchief slides to wear with their uniforms. I've been researching ideas all week, and while I don't feel like I'm any closer to being ready for Friday's meeting, I have learned a lot. One of my favorite pages so far is Scouting With A Neckerchief, a little pamphlet printed in 1927, that tells the 60-some-odd uses for a neckerchief, as well as some of the history behind the easily recognized symbol. Very cool reading, indeed. I can't wait to share this with the boys.

And one gentleman put his carving skills to delightful use making slides for his grandson. Aren't they darling? I might have a hard time turning the boys loose with those ("Wouldn't they look better in Mommy's safe? No, really. Give it here before you lose it!"), but I'll bet that little boy was *thrilled* with his.

And this site - Scout Mom (but I *love-love-LOVE* the url - fakinit. That just makes me smile and nod like a bobblehead.) Well, I didn't find what I was looking for, but I had fun doing it! She's getting bookmarked for future Scout-related sanity breaks.

Meanwhile, I finally got my hands on some Blue Cards. I'd begun to think they were myth. Or legend. Either way, I was starting to think I'd have better odds getting hold of a Luck Dragon than some of these. Tomorrow, the Bigs will pick the merit badges they'd like to work on this summer, then sometime later in the week we can get the green light and start things rolling with those.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

3 comments:

Heidicrafts said...

I love reading about your young Scouts and will check out the links. My lad is just back from Scout Camp and is pleased that he earned his "Panda" World Conservation badge. He also stuck with Mammal Study because he thinks the grey squirrel on the badge is cute.

-- Heidi

Dy said...

Way to go on the World Conservation badge! Did he have a great time at camp? James and John went this year, and it was a fantastic experience for both of them. They go out of district, up to Skymont, but it's worth the trek - gorgeous place!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dy...being the awards chair I am in charge of our blue cards. I have plenty!! Even signed by our very own scoutmaster. ;-) Can't you imagine an under the table transaction for blue cards. Ha (at least it was funny to me).

Those websites are cool, especially the 2nd one.

Have fun!

~julie in san diego