Monday, October 18

Oh, Dear. Fall, already?

Well, when the spammers begin posting at will in your comments section, it's a sure sign you've let too much dust collect on ye olde blog...ge. (How would you spell that, anyway?) If you need jeans, jewelry, or... pharmaceuticals, let me know. I'm sure I can hook you up.

So, it's October. Yeah. We survived Summer. (pause for a little celebratory shin dig and some cider) As per the arrangement, my reward for not voluntarily slipping into a coma in August is the truly Awesome Display of Fall Foliage. While I'm relatively certain God would get on with the Awesome Display whether I was aware of it, or not, I made an agreement with a smaller, more shallow entity that lives in my head, and haggles with me to get me to stay upright and functional when I really don'wanna... we'll call it... Jimminy. So, "Jimminy" told me if I'd just keep plugging along, there would be Autumn as a reward. And, not saying I wasn't tempted, and definitely not saying we were "productive", by ANY stretch of the imagination. Just saying... "Yay." And, regardless of the set up, I am deeply appreciative.

The garden was awesome, this year. Actually, no, it wasn't. But it felt like it was, until we tallied it all up. We got okra. A few cucumbers, until the barn developed its laser vision and *fried* the plants to paper. As Superheroes go, the barn pretty much stinks. And, um, okra. But, in the end, Summer ended and we were too thrilled to remember to put in a fall garden, and so, it shall lie fallow and recuperate. It shall breathe. (Hence, the Apathetically Organic moniker - just proves itself again and again as THE name for us, should we ever start smoking peyote and thinking we're farmers.) Regardless, we had a lot of fun with it, which makes it awesome, in a way.

Our latest project is a bike trail through the woods. It. is. *GAH* I can't think of an adjective that isn't some variation on "awesome". (Oh, but it IS. It really IS.) And it's late, and it's a miracle I'm blogging at all. Forgive me. Anyway, I can't even explain how much fun this is. The blisters, eh, not so much. And we're pretty sure that several areas in Dante's Inferno are landscaped with the briars native to the South. However, all that aside, all we need now are awesome little plaques "
Poison Ivy, Rhus Radicans,
native to North America, non-edible
and
Saw greenbriar, Smilax bona-nox,
native to the U.S., freaking impossible to eradicate without napalm
then it'll be just like a trail at the Wildlife Refuge. Without the Rangers. Or the tax exempt status. But those are peripheral. It's nearly complete. Ish. OK, functional. And very exciting. The kids love it. The dogs love it. We love it!

That's it for now. If I write everything allatonce, it'll be another six months before I blog again.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

3 comments:

Erin said...

You need a tractor and a bushhog to get the trail in shape and keep it going. I'll tell Santa what you need if you tell him I really need more duct tape that has the magical property of not sticking to kids skin when pulled off by a Mom. (Can't wait to visit the trail)

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Hey! I missed you! :)

If fun was had by all, the garden was awesome. :) We plant our tiny little back yard each summer, and this year we got enough tomatoes to make chili! Twice! The boys think it is pretty fun to go outside and pick our dinner.

Post some pictures soon, will you? I'm sure your kids have grown up a lot in the last few months!

Dy said...

I need ten grand and a retired Irish gardener, Erin! (Try blue painter's tape - it doesn't hurt, even when it gets stuck in hair. Trust me.)

Emily, I love that you got to make chili w/ tomatoes from your garden! Bet the boys just loved that!

I would love to post pictures. I will post pictures. But our camera (the one I've been "needing to send in" for, um, four years) finally crapped out while we were on our canoe trip. It refuses to focus on anything, or just on random things - you never know. The last pictures we took look like we found an entire herd of Nessie-like creatures!