Saturday, May 29

Don't Wait for Perfect

We have a tendency to put off doing something until we can do it "just so". That may work for some, but for us, it only means we'll keep putting it off indefinitely. Whether it's a lack of money, or of time, or even knowledge that gets in the way, it's always something. So, put it off until... blah, blah, blah.

Last year, we decided we'd put an intentional end to that, in our gardening areas. And wow, what a difference! Not that we have *any* idea what we're doing. But it's starting to look like we do!

Today, the kids and I harvested lemon thyme, lemon balm, pineapple sage and Greek oregano. It's all cleaned off, drying in little bundles in the kitchen window, now. Some of it will be used for tea, and some for cooking. Some of it, we want to experiment with.

The garlic and horseradish the boys put in earlier this spring are both doing well, and the kids can hardly wait for those plants to mature for harvest.

That whole end of the yard is starting to look (and smell) unbelievably good. And while I'm tempted to lament just how awesome it would have been if we'd done it the first spring we were here, (but then, we'd have a bountiful harvest, and still no place to put it - which is why the house came first. Still, one wonders...) In the end, we're getting to it, and it's really happening.

It felt so good, kneeling in the dirt with the kids, as they clipped and gathered the herbs. Walking slowly around the tea garden, with shears and bundles in my hands, listening to each of the children identify their plants.

Granted, we're on our third planting of tomatoes this spring (we cannot get them to germinate!), but as soon as we figure that out, we'll have the herbs to season them with!

Don't pass it all up waiting for "just so". Because "wonderful" and "your best" is absolutely delicious, in so many way! But "never got around to it" just doesn't season memories so well.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Good advice! I finally put in my first garden this year. I did it all wrong, it's in a spot that doesn't get enough sun, and it looks like hell (to my perfectionist eye anyway). I have been able to harvest some of the lettuce already for salads and that's been nice. Oh, I planted almost all lettuce, too. Thought I had to use up all the seeds in each of those five packets. I ran out of room for other things. The tomato plants I bought are still sitting in the mudroom sink waiting for me to figure out where to plant them. They may wind up in the compost pile. At least I got a start and have some things figured out for next time around.

Jennie C. said...

Amen. I'm planting my second batch of tomatoes today, by the way. Killed off a couple hundred baby plants from the first go around. :-)