Wednesday, April 14

On Changes, Food

Ok, so Emily and Mere wanted to know more about the nutritional changes we're making. (But y'all need to share yours, too! Learning is more fun, together!)

I'll be upfront: I hate change. Really, I do. Sometimes, it's necessary, and good. Then, I can handle, at times, even embrace it. Most of the time, people want change for the sake of change, with no regard to whether it's a change for the better. When that gets foisted upon me, I loathe it even more. That's what re-arranging the furniture, or coloring your hair, is for. Not for major life changes.

So, when we do decide to change things up around here, it's usually done with a fair amount of thought, research and planning before hand. That's not to say we have all the answers. We're pretty sure we don't even have most of the questions yet. It just means we've taken stock and decided that, for this house, and this family, at this point, this is what we're going to do. And sometimes, in case those aren't enough qualifiers, we don't end up able or willing to pull it off at all. Yep, just drop your pocket change in the therapy jar as you enter the foyer.

One last caveat, so that nobody confuses me with a "professional" in any sense of the word, I'm a gleaner. Gleaning has saved people from dying off, and from making poor choices whole hog, for centuries. Any process that provides that much consistent return is worth looking into. So, when I say I get a lot of insight from Nourishing Traditions, (and I do!) that doesn't mean you'll be able to pry the pressure cooker from my cold, dead (and potentially malnourished, since I keep using the danged thing) hands. I still believe the pressure cooker is the procrastinator's crock pot, a little technological gift from God so that we don't have to choose between eating our food raw and not eating at all. (Yeah, I know, Jess, but I will probably always cook at least some of my food. Love me where I'm at, right? *grin*) Gleaning means that I get why that's not the best way to go about getting food on the table, and I'm willing to work toward an ideal. Or to incorporate those bits that seem to mesh with the above mentioned legwork, meow meow, study, meow family. Meow. (tried to find a link to Daniel Striped Tiger's talking, inserting "meows" in, here and there, but, um... wow. the word "meow" has been taken to an HNL in the past few years. no video for you!)

So, the nutritional changes, we've actually been making slowly over the last year or so. It began with raw milk, spread to soaked grains, moved on to my quirky affair with kefir, and so on. Then, due to logistics, we let the raw milk slide. Life has a way of not letting things slide, however, even when you think it'd be easier to do so. And this was no exception.

John's had a bit of health trouble the last six months or so. We got most of it ironed out, except one: stomach pain. We checked the wheat, we tracked his diet, we flipped his mattress, upped his water, tested eighty gallons of blood, blah-blah-blah. The kid's been a tough little lab rat the past six months, lemme tell ya. Then, one day, while a friend lovingly let me freak out to her about scheduling a visit with a neurologist, it hit me: in John's nine years on earth, the ONLY time he's been free of stomach pain has been when he was on raw milk. That includes the wheat-free years. He's never been free of stomach pain. He had a lovely reprieve last spring, and then, *bam* it was back. Right when we went back to store-bought milk. Hmmm.

So, we found a closer source. We got him spooled back up last week, and within 72 hours, the stomach pains diminished significantly. Within another 24 after that, gone. From 3-4 episodes a day, to nothing, in a week. Guess what's going on our regular grocery list, now? We've made some other changes, too - not all at once, but bit-by-bit.

~ We're pretty much a juice-free home, now. Zorak occasionally buys orange juice. But I don't schedule it into our regular diet. The kids eat fresh fruit several times a day, and they drink water both at meals and throughout the day. They have access to the milk whenever they want, as well.

~ I've cut my coffee consumption exponentially (not exaggerating), replacing that with water, as well.

~ We've moved our Big Meal of the day to an earlier spot in the day, and added in a few smaller, but more intentional meals.

~ We eat breakfast and lunch outside, whenever possible. The atmosphere can't be beat!

~ Oat groats, instead of rolled oats, go farther, are more filling, and have more nutrition. Larger upfront investment, if you buy through a co-op, but an enormous savings, overall - not just financially, but in health benefits, too.

The savings from eliminating juice (and other peripheral beverages), and reducing the coffee consumption, alone, freed up money to spend on local, free-range chicken eggs and fresh, thick, clean milk.

And some changes aren't changes. They're things we've always done, and still feel are the best choice for our home. We still use lard. We still eat meat - red meat, white meat, wild game, you name it. We still have pintos (or some kind of bean) available every day. I've got the boys convinced lentils are cool, but they're relegated to lunchtime only because Zorak thinks they're puny and lacking in body, much preferring the noble pinto. We skimp on junk food and keep a good supply of veggies in the fridge.

The boys are cooking with us more, too. Now that Jase can get up onto the counter and back down, he's pretty, erm, "involved". Em dons her fairy wings and mixes or pours. James made a fantastic guacamole to go with lunch, today. They made a dutch baby (new recipe) and a recipe for German pancakes the other day for breakfast (they did a comparison - and the verdict is, it's the same thing. We ate it all.) Jacob's venturing into the kitchen for a little one-on-one, and learning the ropes as he goes. These are always excellent kitchen happenings!

I'm sure there's more we can do. Probably more we will do. But right now, for this home, and this family, at this point, this is a good place to be.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Jenni said...

I've seen pictures of the Dutch babies and German pancakes, and I always wondered what the difference was. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

I would love to find a source for raw milk. We used to drive an hour and a half round trip for it when the kids were little, but that family stopped selling it, and we've never found another source. My family finally convinced me it wouldn't work for us to have a milk cow, but I do miss that fresh milk. Nothing goes better in coffee than that cream ladled right off the top.

Dy said...

Any time, Jenni! You just let me know when you need some professional food testing, and we're there for you!

OK, and that just made me laugh, b/c I go to such lengths to point out that we're *not* professionals. But the kids are official food testers. That's the tag line, when you snag something from the kitchen while we're cooking: "Just let me make sure this isn't poisoned."

Also, you have an IM at FB. LMK if that helps!

Spinneretta said...

raw milk is illegal here in Virginia the great state where Joel Salatin lives (I think the guy is hilarious, have you read him?). You can only get it if you get cow shares and DH is not on that bandwagon yet!
So I found the next best thing- local, pasteurised (NOT ultra pasteurised) non-homogenised milk. Strangely enough we found that it causes less digestive distress than the usual.
I always switch between NT and the Mediterranean diet advice- which always seems to be the same kind of thing really. I guess you'd say it has to be from a recognisable source!
DH and I were both amazed the other day when a new grocery store opened (it had bought out our usual store and basically changed it to their own brands etc)- it had reduced all my fresh foods and increased all the processed foods!

Dy said...

Yeah... gotta love the gov't protecting us from ourselves! Wee!

Love Joel Salatin! I've been trying to convince KathyJo that she and I (and all the kids) should go to the farm for one of their weekends. That would be such a great get-together.

I haven't heard of the Mediterranean diet. Interesting. But yes, just "know what you're eating" is kind of my mantra. It seems to work well for us.

What's UP w/ your grocery store? Every other store in the US seems to be clamoring to capture a share of the fresh food market, and they go processed? *snort* Wow. And yet, they're doing well enough to buy out other stores... *sigh*

Spinneretta said...

LOL there is a whole discussion about the government there that I wont get into :) (I have to listen to DH's rants so I try not to repeat them to others ;))

You'd probably love to visit Polyface farm :) I never have, but I have eaten his food (yummy). He is also on Facebook where he posts about when the farm is open to visit too.

The Mediterranean diet is more or less the TRADITIONAL diet of the Mediterranean regions. Lots of fruit and vegs, fresh meat, olive oil, lard and some dairy. I think of it as espousing eat locally ;) fresh foods etc.

As for the store- I have no idea. I was a little perplexed. Perhaps they just didn't get the chance to get the fresh stuff in and wanted to stock all the stuff they usually stock elsewhere- it was Martin's (which is one of the 'Giant' chain), and they reduced my fresh produce section to add their wine section in. And they had less fresh meat, but more frozen 'meats' (read nuggets etc) and packaged foods. It was so bad that my not-very-fresh-food-eating husband even noticed. Commented. and Disliked!

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity! I think your choices are interesting. They are similar to the direction that I'm currently moving my family. We're working toward more organic foods, more homemade food, and like you probably read on my blog, raw milk. So far no luck on the raw milk, though. I'm not sure it is possible, really, to get it here without making our bank account scream. I'd like to do more with soaking our grains, but realism for me right now is that I CANNOT REMEMBER to do it ahead of time. I just don't have our meals planned out like that! Your life seems at least as chaotic as mine - how do you remember???

Anyway, thanks - it is nice to hear how others do it, and fun to know that we're heading in a similar direction. :)

Dy said...

Emily, um, I... don't. always... get around to it. :-S

Hence, the pressure cooker - I can do in 45 minutes, and without soaking, what I should have done in two days of gentle soaking and rinsing, and a nice long cook.

So. Yeah, I forget. Often. But it's a goal, and when I DO remember - wow, my stress level is lower, the food tastes better (in part b/c of the lower stress level, I'm sure! LOL!)

mere said...

Ahhhh, raw milk.

Unfortunately we are not getting it anymore. Currently, we are only drinking about a gallon of milk per week, anyway and G. and I use heavy cream in our coffee. We eat a lot of full fat plain yogurt and coconut milk, and cheese. Yes, I realize coconut milk is non-dairy. My opinion is that if we can't get the raw, I'd rather just limit it...and there's plenty of evidence that suggests humans really don't need dairy products any way, except nursing infants, and I've got that covered.

I have noticed that since we got rid of the grains and almost all of the sugar in our diet I have felt better physically and emotionally...I'm a lot less stressed and my thinking is mugh clearer. I don't consume as much coffee. I eat more fruit, which yes, has more sugar, but lots of good stuff as well. Plus the baby weight is gone as well as the bloating. Now I just need to start sleeping with the blackout curtains again.

Sounds like you are making very well thought out, wise choices for your family. Go Dy!

mere