Wednesday, April 23

What a Wild Ride!

A day begun with a SNAFU can end with... a very tired woman and five exhausted-but-happy children. Not a bad trade off, really.

In obvservance of "Take Your Child to Work Day", James and John got up early and went to work with Zorak. Turns out it's actually tomorrow. So, they got in a little practice run. And I got a call to come into town and get them at lunch. Oops.

Since we were going to be in town, anyway, I hated to just come right back home. I thought about all the field trips we don't take because it's such a trek into town. Then I remembered we have a membership to the Space and Rocket Center. It took me most of the drive up, but I finally put two and two together and came up with an idea. We had luch at the Miso House (the boys' second-favorite eatery in Huntsville), where we ate dongatsu and gyoza and sushi rolls until we thought we would explode, and then we headed off to play.


You can't tell it from John's expression, but we spent enough time walking through the museum so that nobody would be likely to explode on this ride. I did, however, stand far, far away while the ride ran. They are half mine, after all, and I never did fare well on rides like this. They, however, had a blast.


We stayed for about four hours, saw the Saturn V on display, enjoyed a presentation on propulsion systems and fuels, toured the moon, and ate sno-cones. (It said Shave Ice, but I know if I just said we ate Shave Ice, somebody who has been to Hawaii would pop up to say it's *nothing* like what you get in Hawaii. It was, however, far better than the sno-cones at the ball park, and hit the spot perfectly in the afternoon heat. The boys deemed them good enough, in fact, that Smidge suggested we swing by the Center for these before baseball games instead of getting the sno-cones at the snack shack. What's an extra 70 miles here and there, right?) Then we high-tailed it out of there just in time to beat the rush-hour traffic. What a fantastic day!

And James wanted me to post this picture. He put JT to sleep all on his own, and was so proud. He said, "I think I just have a way with babies, Mom."

Kiss those babies!
~Dy
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Becca said...

Oh, they are so sweet!! The pictures are just priceless. You are a wonderful mom indeed to turn a mistake into such a fabulous days.

Oh, and btw, thanks for the nudge. I needed it!

Fe said...

Is that second photo Smidge?!

He looks all grown up!

Jenni said...

Great pictures! It sounds like a wonderful day.

Dy said...

Yay, Becca, you're back!

fe, that's John. I took it as proof that he wasn't scarred too badly from the ride. *grin*

jenni, it was a great day. They had a fantastic time, and I'm so glad we went for it.

Amber said...

Sounds like you managed to recover quite nicely from what could have been a rather disappointing day! Those pictures are great - I can't believe how big all your kids are getting.

Jules said...

I love the toothless one of John! Kids with both front teeth missing just do something to my little ole' heart. :)

Looks like a fun day.

Bob and Claire said...

James is so cute--he does indeed have a way with babies! I'm sure he'll be a great dad!

We've been to the Space and Rocket Center several times during past TDYs and trips through town--it is a favored place! My boys love those rides too. Me, not so much. I'm more of a feet on the ground sort of girl, LOL. Glad you could redeem the day!