Wednesday, April 26

Oh, joy! The day is done.

Tonight I could use a little John Donne, a stout glass of wine, and a good friend. It was one of those days.

The casings I so gleefully yanked off the other day? Yeah, they have to go back on. As it turns out, they have some pretty intricate niches on the back side that attach to the window thingamajiggers and it'll be easier to attach 1/4" lathe strips to the existing casings than it will be to cut the narrow strips of 1x and then route the niches. I suppose that makes it a good thing I didn't get any more pulled off today, then?

We have a new fire ant mound, and in the half a second it took me to realize I'd stepped in a mound, I had five in my slipper. One bit me on the top of my foot, and I think another tried from inside the slipper, but managed to hit a callous. I hope it broke a mandible.

Today, the boys tried what I like to call (in my inner dialogue - the one that would probably scar them for life if I uttered the words aloud) their "English Interpretation" studies. They failed miserably. Tomorrow I will be able to say they didn't fail, they simply learned another way NOT to listen to Mother... but tonight I'm not feeling all that chipper. They are fed. They are bathed. They are tucked into bed, and they are loved. Sometimes, that's just the tip of the iceberg. But other times, that's all I can do. Knowing that this is a normal waxing and waning of Life helps. Tremendously.

I think the breaking point for me today came when John lobbed a whiffle ball to me without making certain I was ready for it. (I wasn't -- I had my back turned to him and was talking with James.) He did shout, "head's up" but not until the ball was on its way down. Emily caught it. With the side of her face. *sigh* Thank God it was just a whiffle ball. But I didn't handle it with much grace, and Zorak didn't extend any to me, either. (What goes around, comes around.) It was just one of those things that comes from Not Thinking. Thankfully, the day is over, Emily is fine, and so is John.

On a better note, the Crunchy Market in town called today - my copy of The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread is in! Yay! The Lady-in-Charge-of-Ordering-Stuff said it might be two months before she could get a copy, but took my name and number, just in case. I'm so glad she did, as evidently she was able to slip it in with the order she'd just placed the day before. Could've bought it at BAM or BN, but we like doing business locally when it's feasible. They are wonderful about special orders and are very nice to the children there - makes a world of difference in my shopping habits! (I figure if we repeat this often enough, businesses will clue in and perhaps try to earn business rather than whine about not getting it - we can hope, anyway.)

In all, I'm grouchy tonight. Looking forward to tomorrow, though. The kitchen is clean, the living/dining area tidied. Clothes for everyone are laid out. That will be nice to wake up to. The wash is caught up and breakfast is made (pancakes - just have to heat them up - yay). After lessons, we're going to the library, the Botanical Gardens, perhaps lunch with Zorak in town, and we'll swing by the Crunchy Market on our way to church. I think an outing day will be just the thing to help us get out of this funk.

For now, though, I'm off to write the boys' notes and lay out lessons for the morning. Have a wonderful Wednesday, and remember - these days will come, whether we are prepared for them or not. It's better to be prepared and be able to swing with them. (I could have used a reminder of that, myself, long about four this afternoon. *grin*)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Thom said...

Sorry for the tough day. It's good that you're able to see beyond it and keep it in perspective. I have a tough time with that,myself.

I hope your outing tomorrow goes smoothly and lifts the funk. And enjoy that new book!! Nothing like a fresh read to perk up the spirits!

And just as an aside, who new foot calluses could come in handy,like that? That means my tootsies,in their present state, are veritable fortresses against fire ant attacks, LOL!

Melora said...

Sorry about that wiffle ball. Poor Emily, and poor John and you! I really think it's okay for kids to see that even the most loving, patient mommies lose their tempers once in a while.

Those windows sound like a nightmare. I got chomped by fire ants the other day while I was washing windows, and I only wish they'd gotten a callous.

Tomorrow's plans sound like fun! I hope the day goes well.
Cordially,
Melora

Anonymous said...

Oh Yes, THOSE kind of days. Been there too many times. Hang in there.

mere

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

((hugs)) And glad today went better.

And PLEASE let me know what you think of the GF bread book. I keep meaning to see if the library has it, but then I forget.

Brandie said...

I'm so sorry you had a rough day :-( (((hugs))) But I've read ahead and see that indeed things got better. So glad to hear it.