Friday, February 3

Very Shaggy Boys and Good Friends

Man, I need to dig out my old photos and scan some in for ya! Y'all may have seen the occasional, very funny comments made here by a gentleman named James. He's real. He's funny. He has amazingly high integrity. He's witty and smart. (He'll kill me for mentioning this, but he's also single... so, you know, email me if you'd like to know more!)

*ahem*

ANYway, he says, "Don’t fret the shaggy boys, remember the boys you hung out with in high school weren’t exactly sporting high and tights and most of us turned out okay." He's right. And to be honest, most of the boys at our high school sporting high and tights ended up with bad cases of backne and blue urine... *sigh*

So, no, I shouldn't fret having Very Shaggy Boys, at all. James (the little one, not the commenter) has such a naturally pixie-like, Elvish look to him, and John's a bit on the Dwarvish side... dress 'em up and it looks like we're raising a team of extras for the LOTR films, though! So I do tend to get a bit verklempt over the state of their heads.

However, this light-hearted, yet wise, comment got me thinking. It's not the hair. Not the clothes. It's the heart, the mind, the soul that we tend to. It does help to keep the hair out of the eyes, yes, but that doesn't fall in the Top Three of Important Parts to Parenting.

Then, as caffeine-induced awareness will do, I jackrabbited about a bit in my head, and began thinking of friends. (Nice segue, huh?) Sometimes life sends you friends for a short time, and life is brighter because of that time. Then space, circumstances, or Life sends you out on different paths. And it's okay.

But once in a while, Life brings your paths back together, and that is truly wonderful. Particularly when you discover that you've both grown and matured (mostly) and that you can enjoy your friendship and all the changes that have taken place in your lives over the years. Your friendship may be rooted in the past, but it can thrive in the here-and-now. Not too many friendships can pick up like that and exist in Today, but the ones that can are priceless.

In high school, James was one of those Very Shaggy Boys. He was one of my very favorite people then. He's still among some of my very favortie people. Even when he calls me to say that he's in New Mexico, staring at the beautiful Sandia mountains, eating a green chile burrito and he's not sharing.

Yes, even then.

James is no longer a Very Shaggy Boy. I am no longer... whatever description you'd pick for those awkward teenage years I survived by the sheer Grace of God. And I think we've turned out OK. Which is good. It's encouraging.

The boys have friends they love and adore. Friends for whom they make special projects, plan get togethers, and shop for birthday gifts. These friends are dear to the boys, and the boys are dear to their friends (one of John's friends drove his mother nuts last week, worried that John wouldn't get his birthday party invitation in time for the party. It was Very Important to this little guy, and that made John feel great.) If they skip the barber shop on the way to Pioneer Club, who cares? Conversely, if we skip it, who cares? In twenty years (um, or more... but I don't want to get too detailed with the dates, here, okay?) the hair, the shoes, the cars don't matter. It's all about the friendship.

Yep. Friendship is good. Friends are good. The hair is just a messy detail that doesn't. really. matter.

(Of course, we're still getting haircuts, but I'm not going to fret over it if it doesn't happen right away!)

Today, kiss those babies, and call a friend!
~Dy

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, as usual, Dy. I really enjoy your blog! One question: what is Pioneer Club? I'm sorry if you've already answered this. Thanks!

Laney said...

Backne!!!I thought my sister and I were the only people in the world who used that term! Another reason to love you!

I admit, I love the clean look of a new haircut, but I do love the funky little bedheads that much too long hair creates! :-)

Jules said...

In the scheme of life, shaggy hair is a pretty small thing.

Unless, of course, you are the mother of the shaggy haired, who everyone stares at wondering why you don't get your boys' hair cut! ;)

Here's to a day at the barber shop- make it a good one!

melissa said...

The blog gods have smiled upon me tonight and I can comment!
A special request to James(the commenter, not the small one) Please, oh please, describe Dy as a teenager. Please.

Dy said...

Um, ok, this is when I wish I had some dirt to hold over his head... and Melissa, you should know I gave serious moderation pause on your comment. :-D

Anon, thank you. Pioneer Clubs is what I would have described at the Reformed version of AWANA. But you can get a better/more accurate description at their site:

http://www.pioneerclubs.org

Dy

Anonymous said...

Oops, I didn't mean to post anon! I meant to sign my name, which is Denise (though that's hardly less anonymous LOL). Anyway, thanks for getting back to me. I like the idea of a reformed AWANA. I'm off to check out the site. Thanks again, Denise

Melora said...

I like the image of your little LOTR extras! That tends to be the look around here, since Ed prefers the long haired look and I don't bother with it until Travis's eyes have pretty much disappeared behind his forelock. I do like the neatly cut look, though, while it lasts!

I have not been good about maintaining friendships, and it is one of my regrets.
Cordially,
Melora

Anonymous said...

I was tagged and I'm tagging you! :o)

Four jobs you have had in your life:
Four Movies you would watch over and over:
Four Places You’ve Lived:
Four TV Shows you love to watch:
Four websites I visit daily:
Four of my favorite foods:
Four places I’d rather be right now:
Four bloggers I am tagging: