Wednesday, February 22

Comfy Floors and Strange Visitors

It felt indescribably good to put my feet on a finished floor when I awoke yesterday morning! Zorak keeps thinking he's stepped on something and it takes a second before he realizes it's not something that shouldn't have been on the floor. We're having a lot of fun with the whole carpet thing.

I've been smitten. Thankfully, it wasn't a full smack-down (yet), but I am sick. I was miserable yesterday. And today. Tomorrow's not lookin' so hot, either. Ick. However, I feel better than Smidge, who awoke crusted over and slimy like something from a Clive Barker flick, looks. Poor little guy. I had slathered him with items from the voo-doo bag the night before (a little eye of newt, a little dragon's liver, and a dab of chicken foot) and evidently it did the trick because the next morning everything that had been inside his body was now outside it. All over it. Amazing. He was feeling a tad bit better by bedtime last night, so I think he's reaching the end.

Yesterday nothing was accomplished other than two loads of bedding, which I then added to the mining camp ensemble to dry. That's one thing I miss about living in the desert: wash hung on the line dries in the same amount of time it takes the next load to wash. I really, really miss that.

Zorak wants to begin on the master bedroom this weekend. I think I'll let him.

Oh, and we had a bizarre visitor yesterday. While the kids and I were enjoying lunch, a white pickup pulled in and a young kid (I'm guessing mid-20's) got out and came to the door. When I answered, he said he noticed from the road that we're fixing the place up. Said his granddad had built this house and would we like to have the original plans to the house. Now, this, in itself, doesn't strike me as weird. If Zorak's Granny had sold her place and we saw that somebody was fixing it up, we'd stop and say hi, tell some stories about the old place, and just be friendly in general. What strikes me as weird is that (a) you can't SEE this place from the road, and (b) you can't tell we're doing anything other than trashing the place from the outside.

He went on to tell a few stories which may or may not jive with what we know about the place. He said it was built in the late sixties and that it burnt down a few years later and the structure that's on there now was rebuilt after the fire.(County records say it was built in '71. Something was on fire at some point in the Dean Koontz room, but I'm not sure if it's indicative of a whole house fire...) He identified a few of the fruit trees on the property, although one he got wrong (said it's a fig and it's a chokecherry - I have no idea how close those two are in appearance). He shared a lot of information I wouldn't share about my family in a town this small. In all, he was fairly believable, but the whole visit had a feel of "doesn't quite fit".

Anyhow, I didn't let him in. I couldn't shake the feeling that he is the son of the folks who lost this place and that he was running recon for them to see if they want to buy it back. He mentioned having come into an inheritance a while back, and that was the big flag-raiser for me. Both our realtor and the closing attorney said that usually the only way people come to claim a right of redemption is when they receive an inheritance that allows them to afford to buy the place back. He asked if my husband would be home that evening and said he'd bring the plans by. He never came back. I hope he doesn't. But I can't feel at ease about the encounter. I'll be so thankful when we get the all-clear in May. Until then, please pray that it stays quiet on that front.

Today we'll keep cleaning and resting. I'm going to work with John on his reading as soon as he finishes breakfast. The older two are still sound asleep and resting. I think I'm going to go climb back in bed and wait for John.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

16 comments:

Stephanie not in TX said...

Dy, if they tried to take the house back from you now, they'd have an army of angry homeschoolers, many with guns, on their doorstep. Maybe you should post a notice on your door, to give them fair warning?

Warning! This House Protected by the Homeschool Posse! Including libertrians! Run while you can!

Needleroozer said...

Too funny bout the homeschool Posse- seriously, I don't think I'd answer the door to him again, it freaked me out when you told me about him yesterday. Will play, though.
Hope you get some much needed rest today, will check in as soon as I can later today.
Love and hugs,
LB

Anonymous said...

Dy! What on earth is a "right of redemption"??

Korrie in UT

H said...

If they do try to buy it back, don't they have to pay you for all of the work you've done to it? Hopefully that would put it seriously out of their price range.

I'll be praying!

Gem said...

Dy, it sounds as if you've been visiting my house, we seem to have all versions of a similar virus. All have fever, some coughing, some massive snot-producing, and some have some of each. I would give just about anything to breath through just one of my nostrils for one night! It seems to be giving a little today, thank God. I'm not herb-savvy (heh - savvy) at all, we are getting through on sudafed, benadryl, expectorant and even once the nebulizer.

Dy said...

Oh, Gem, I'm so sorry you guys have it, too! Ick! Feel better soon.

Steph, the visual cracked me up. I may just paint up a sign for fun. "Caution: Libertarian Homeschool Compound". Nobody else would get it, but I'd chuckle every time I pulled in the drive.

Korrie, Sorry, I thought I'd explained it in the blog somewhere. Right of Redemption is an option where the owners of a property that's been foreclosed upon have one year from the date of their foreclosure to redeem the property. Basically, to come back and pay it off outright. If the previous owners did exercise this option, they would have to reimburse us for the full sale price, all interest we've paid, plus the materials we've put into the property to make it liveable. It would be a pretty costly proposition for them, and the odds are slim that it would happen.

It was one of those weigh-the-risks things, and we took the risk. We know full well that we "could" lose the house by May because of it, but also that the odds are very, very slim. Felt a heckuva lot slimmer before whats-his-name showed up yesterday, but still pretty slim. ;-)

Dy

Amy said...

Dy, I think you are right to feel uneasy. I say keep the outside as junky as you can till June and don't let anyone in. Maybe borrow some broken down cars to park out front. Do you still have the old toilets? Suddenly, the porch seems an appropriate place for them.

I'm praying that this was just a wierd kid, and I'll keep praying until June 1.

Feel better.

Bob and Claire said...

Dy, we're praying here too--I'm suspicious of the guy too. Sounds a little too convenient.

I just got caught up with your blog, and I wanted to say that our current dilemna of our fridge having broken while we were away, and the resulting inconvenience, have made me think again of you and all you are putting up with during this house remodel/new baby/keeping everything else oging too thing. I'm feeling overwhelmed just with unpacking, fridge-shopping, and trying to clean up this wreak of a house--I seriously don't know how you do it without going insane! If you can keep plodding up those switchbacks, so can I! : )

Sheila said...

I should have just read the comments first. I googled Right of redemption and looked up Alabama laws. I was worried some guy would come back and buy the house at the old price with all your upgrades.
Well, by May they'd have to hope for Real sizable inhereitance. At the rae ya'll are going, you'll e all done by then. However, we'll still be working on the foyer tiling.
Whew.

Anonymous said...

Oh, sorry to hear you're sick! Feel better.

Amy's comment about junking up the front yard made me LOL. (Not ROFL, mind you, just LOL.) If you need help with *that*, just lemme know. I've got some neighbors that could give you pointers. And this *is* Appalachia...I could have some fine specimens of rusted out cars on blocks in a trailer and down to you right quick! ;)
Oh! we're about to pull out three old toilets. I think you need some planters!

Well, at the very least, get a rilly thick chain, put it around a tree, and act very disturbed that Cujo has apparently snapped his chain again if/when Mr. Suspicious comes back.

J-Lynn said...

At least you got everything cleaned up right? lol

For those of you worried, no need to worry for Dy's safety. The guy would be a goner before he even got close. ;-) Her beauty and charm and delicate appearance is enough for any man to underestimate her ability to protect her family.

HUGS Dy.

Melora said...

So sorry you have been sick.
I read your post this morning, and have been worrying about this "right of redemption" thing all day. I hope you never hear from that guy again, but, if they tried to buy it back, I certainly hope they would have to pay labor as well as material costs. Most people, who don't have your construction skills, would have paid a Whole Lot for the the labor that you have put into that house.
Wishing you well,
Melora

melissa said...

Girl, I miss you! I hope that you are feeling better soon, and you KNOW I'm praying for you!

Dy said...

Melissa I never know when is a good time to reach you or I'd have called this week. By the time I think of it, normal people are in bed.

Melora thanks for the good word. We don't get reimbursed for our labor b/c we aren't licensed contractors, but wouldn't that be great if we could? If we hired out the work, labor would be included in what they'd have to pay. But if we'd hired it out, we wouldn't have been able to do half of what we've done, so it was sort of moot. Ah, well, only three more months. That's not long (I think it almost took us longer to close on the place! LOL!)

Jess You know it, sweetie! Well, about the home defense portion. Don't know about all the rest of that - I'm in the stained-sweats, milk-drenched shirt, and three-day ponytail stage right now. Not quite the elegant ensemble, but thanks for trying! ;-)

Thom said...

I know I'm preaching to the choir,when I advise you to always go with your gut feeling, as regards strangers who approach your house!!

I'm sure there's nothing to worry about on the whole right of redemption thing.Probably just a fluke,this kid showing up. He's young and curious and if he actually inherited some money,probably had nothing better to do anyway.

I'll be praying for you guys. Feel better!!

Anonymous said...

*In my best gangster voice*

Want I should break his legs boss?

Eeek, you're right that is creepy, kudos for not letting that little booger in the house. All the same visits like these are one of those that you should go with your gut instinct first and politeness a far distant second. If he comes back I'd either not answer the door or ask him to just leave. Either way, keep your head down and your powder dry.

Yours in willies
James