Monday, October 24

Not "too" normal, but good.

Today was Smidge's New Patient dental visit. He was none too compliant, but very sweet about it. I guess that's something. He loved the tongue cleaner, though... and by hanging him upside down like a bat, we got him to laugh enough to count his teeth. The hygienist let the boys shoot the water gun (man, why weren't dentists that cool when I was a kid?!? Everyone in that office is amazing!) And we go back on Thursday for the boys to have their work begun. This is more time than I care to spend at the dentist's office, but it's good stuff and needs to be done. We have a lot of catching up to do. Weeee!

The boys and I ran errands this morning after the dentist's visit. They were wonderfully helpful and have been so patient with all the upheaval. Then, for a special treat, we headed to a matinee to see Wallace & Grommit. YIKES! It has, evidently, been a long, long time since we've been to the theater! The cost of taking the four of us to a matinee was more than I'd have anticipated for taking all five of us to an evening show. No wonder Netflix is so popular! However, you'd have thought the boys had fallen through the Looking Glass and into some magic land. It was worth it. The boys wanted to sit Up Front. Oh, I've never been able to understand my poor mother quite so well... *sigh* So we started out in the front row, and within a few seconds everyone voted to scootch back. I'm glad it was their suggestion, and I have no idea how in the world I could ever stand sitting *that close* to the screen!!

We'd talked ahead of time about some of the inappropriate things they might see in the movie, and at one point James did lean over and whisper, "I'm glad you warned us about that. It would have been embarrassing if we weren't prepared for it." Yeah, I know. But in all, the movie was cute. We got a lot of laughter out of it, so it was good. It was a bit loud - for all of us - and pretty overwhelming for Smidge (although he sat in my lap and laughed quite a bit).

Zorak is out at the Forever Home tonight, doing a little solo work. He called a while back to say it was coming along nicely. I think he's enjoying the process, and that time alone is good stuff, really. There's just something very fulfilling, I think, for a man to tend to his own home - a sense of satisfaction in making it not only safe, but nice for his herd. The upkeep, hearth-warming, bookshelf-stocking, and general sustenance are my realm, but this - the roots and foundation building - this speaks to his desire to provide in so many ways. I love seeing him this happy. (And on a purely selfish note, I truly adore being the recipient of his love and the focus of his desires. I'm so blessed!)

Oh! Big News!! Our Wonderful Neighbors From AZ, Ben & Claudia, closed on their house today! They're now Alabama homeowners, and I had to giggle when she called because my first thought was, "The commune gathering has begun!" Yay!! They were still waiting for a moving van to come available when last we spoke today (because, you know, reservations mean nothing in that world...) I don't envy them the move, but boy, oh boy, are we excited for them to be close again!

That's about it. We enjoyed a day of reading, talking, working and playing. We hugged and giggled a lot. It was good. It was Intentional and wonderful. Oh, it was also COLD, so the boys got to wear their new coats Aunt B sent them. Everywhere we went, the old guys gravitated to them to comment on their "cowboy gear" (the coats are these awesome, tan suede-like coats w/ cream fleece lining, cuffs and collars - very cool, indeed!) The boys simply beamed and beamed. We sure do appreciate it when strangers find a kind word and a smile to share with the little ones. I don't know if they know how much it means... or perhaps they do. Sure makes the days a bit brighter, regardless.

And since Winter simply refuses to wait for me to get on it and finish those scarves, I think I'll take this opportunity for a little quiet time to do some knitting (haven't sworn in twenty or so rows!!)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

CarolynM said...

I remember switching seats in the theater with my cousin when we were about 10: front row, back row, front row, usher --telling us to sit still! I still don't know how we handled the front row.

A few weeks ago hubby, daughter, and I got to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at an IMAX theater, but don't anybody get envious too quickly. It was horrible -- MUCH worse than front row!!! You had to turn your head from side to side and up and down, just to keep up with dialogue. I get seasick-flashbacks just thinking about it. I was so glad I had seen it once already on a regular screen (and with leg room). Now I'm waiting patiently for the DVD release.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

The swearing is one of the reasons that I've never tried knitting. Since I made it my goal to quit cussing, I decided I shouldn't add hobbies that would make that goal harder to reach.

That, and I'm sure that if anyone could manage to put out an eye with a knitting needle, it would be me.

Spinneretta said...

OK that is spooky Dy... last Friday WE had a trip to the dentist... and afterwards, WE WENT TO SEE WALLACE AND GROMIT *rflol*...
It was fun, matinee performance here too... just us, the kids, and about half a dozen other ADULTS and one child in the entire place.
We didn't want to ruin the dentists work on our teeth though, so no popcorn ;)

Thom said...

That was just a great blog. It sounds like things are coming right along for you guys. That's so awesome. :0D