Wednesday, January 5

Great Gifts

This year the boys received some truly fabulous gifts- not only thoughtfully picked out, but gifts that they will enjoy year-round for many years to come. (That's part of the reason I'm blogging again today- they're entirely engulfed in play!)

The Magnetix (from Wal-Mart) were a huge hit. Both boys have built and played and conspired almost non-stop with these things. The only thing I would change is to have purchased more than the one 70-piece box.

The pirate ship, oh, I wish there was some way to convey the response! We have a standing rule that no hard toys can be bedtime toys, but occasionally, for very special things, that rule can be bent. John slept with two pirates and tucked one into our bed, too. Granny made the comment one day to John, "Wow, you must be part squirrel." He said, "No. I'm part Indian, part pirate, and part good guy." It's good to know who you are, isn't it?

If you've wondered about the Gears, Gears, Gears toys- they're a riot! Particularly if there's a motor in the set. This box came out at nearly every stop we made, and we've still got all 120 pieces. The boys are nuts for building things they can make go.

Uncle Lyndel, who has no children, but he will- oh yes, he will, and we will be there with batteries and toys with many small pieces- brought a K'nex set for the boys. That one is a "during Jacob's nap time only" toy, but I think they'll have a blast with it once we get things stashed and find a safe spot for it to live.

And, as always, books, wonderful books! Three different I Spy books for the boys, some precious board books for Jacob, and Merlin and the Dragons for John. (He's checked it out from the library repeatedly over the last year- it's a love affair that seems to be sticking. The illustrations are fun, and the story is neat. Can't beat the combination!)

And what did I get? I got a big batch of my mother-in-law's phenomenal caramel pecan logs! They are delicious, and a lot of work, so I'm thoroughly appreciating them. She and Zorak keep insisting that you aren't supposed to eat them like a candy bar, but I say, if the shape fits... Hey, I'm willing to forego new jeans just to enjoy these decadent things the way I want! (Although Zorak hid them deep in the back of the Suburban, which is the only reason there are any left for me to be eating now...) Merry Christmas!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Claudia said...

Hi, Dy. I'll come help you with the laundry in exchange for a pecan log. ;-)

Linda said...

How about if we all do laundry together while we catch up on news AND you can share those pecan logs with us!

Very cool gifts. Magnetix and Gears rank right up there with Lego for our kids!

Di said...

Dy,

My youngest (5+) got a pirate ship for Christmas...and last night my husband found him on the TOP SHELF of the closet in his room, playing with it. Not really sure how he got up there, but perhaps it is the natural response of someone that wants to play with it alone? His brothers would be too big to even fit up there! The pirates are slowly changing into British officers, though. He'd rather be Jack Aubrey or Horatio Hornblower than a pirate (-:

You won't regret the K'Nex. We LOVE them. Hours of quiet blogging ahead in your future, I would predict.

I appreciate your blog, Dy. Welcome home.

Diane

Anonymous said...

What great gifts for you to enjoy! I love seeing their imaginations at work. Bring the laundry here, and we'll sit and chat to our heart's content :)(although maybe I should fold those two baskets sitting in my room first)

Anonymous said...

Ugh!! I did it again. The above comment is from me Laura Queen of Ditzy