Saturday, January 8

Goals Again- Setting them, Keeping them

I had planned to sit down with the boys and get a vague overview of what they might like to learn this year. Of course, when you're six and four, you want to learn all sorts of things and there doesn't need to be any cohesion to it. That's where parenting comes in, and somehow we can pull it all together, put in what they'd like to learn more about, and wrap it in the things they need to learn, as well.

Hee hee. I feel like I'm roaming about the hospital ward in a doctor's coat with a clipboard, hoping nobody realizes I'm not the doctor!

However, since a good leader won't ask of his troops what he isn't willing or capable of doing himself, well, there ya have it- I need to figure out what I'd like to do this year before asking the boys what they might like to accomplish.

I've been setting goals the past few years; broad and defined, long and short term. It's been amazing to see the difference that's come about in response to these goals. Not only is my mindset a little more focused (yeah, completely subjective terms on that one!) but in going over our goals from the past year, I've been pleasantly surprised to find that we accomplished nearly all of them! The only goal we did not accomplish was buying a house, and that simply was not within our means, but not due to anything we dropped the ball on, or failed to do.

My favorite, just-for-me goal is an ongoing goal. This is year three, I think. I realized one day that while I was quite well-read for a five year old, I was sorely lacking for a 30-something woman. Ahem. Yes. So began my quest to increase the quality of my reading, as well as the quantity in general of my reading. I had an inkling it was working when Zorak commented one quiet afternoon, "You read much more interesting stuff than you did when we were dating." I figure this goal pays off in more ways than I can list off the top of my head, but here are a few quickies that come to mind:

* It keeps the world unfolding before me, for my exploration.
* It sets an example for the boys that I wouldn't mind them following.
* It makes me more interesting, specifically to Zorak and the boys, but probably in general (or not, again, subjectivity is a beautiful thing).
* It affords us the luxury of enjoying worlds, places, people we might not otherwise enjoy.
* It keeps me focused (as I said, we're sticking with the subjective, just smile and move on, please).
* It gives me a jump start on great reading lists for the boys in future years!
* It's just FUN!
* It makes me question new things, old things, other things.
* You have no idea (or maybe you do) how much fun standing in line can be when someone else comments on the book poking out of your bag!
* Books are far more enjoyable when you catch references to and quotes from other books because you've actually read them.

There are more, I know there are. But it's time to go play with the boys. The gears have been put away, and it looks like we're going to build a train yard in the living room. Mmm, I do love this life.

Kiss those babies and have a wonderful afternoon!
~Dy

6 comments:

Linda said...

Dy, good list! Errr....where's my *quality* reading book....oh, there it is...right under the stack of Dr. Seuss books!

:-)

Julie D. said...

Now my mysteries and sci-fi are looking very light weight ...

Kim said...

Dy, my husband says that the books I read now as opposed to when we were dating, are "books to churn by." Which is way of saying that they get me all worked up. I was reading something last weekend (which shall remain nameless, and which I could not continue reading) and I was up and down the stairs between the living room and his office so many times that I think I got a workout!

Karin said...

Congratulations on reaching so many of last year's goals. It's not easy to do...

Anonymous said...

Hey Dy,

Looks like you have a good plan for next year. I am surprised you want to put down roots in MD by buying a house when you so badly want to return to NM. Has Zorak polished up his resume yet? I smell another move in the next year for you.

Have a great New Year.

Melissa

Dy said...

*pssst* Hey guys, I've got a secret, the goals were easy to accomplish b/c they weren't that tough! *wink* When all else fails, lower your standards! You can always make up the slack later. *grin*

You know we do love New Mexico dearly, but neither Zorak nor I has ever had any delusions about being able to go back there. I'm not sure what I said to give that impression. Like I've said before, it's our own little Reservation- every time we're there, we're dirt poor, drivin' a beat up old Chevy, living in a concrete shack. The scenery is great and the food is to die for, but what we'd have there is not quite what we want for the boys. As for a house here, roots and a move, it's an investment. Pay rent of an exorbitant amount or a mortgage of an exorbitant amount? Eh, either way, but the investment would be good. We're pretty much your garden variety potted plant, anyway. But no, we've never planned to return to New Mexico.

Oh, and I'll post my reading list from last year. It's not as "high quality" as I'd have liked. *sheepish grin* I got distracted... But then y'all need to share yours, too! After all, browsing through all y'alls reading lists is where I got many of last year's ideas!

~Dy