Wednesday, July 28

Quick, pointless blog

Had to shave James' head yesterday. The barber botched it on Thursday, then combed it over to hide it intentionally from us. We found it when we got home. Tried to live with it over the weekend, but, erm, no. He looked like quite the neglecterino. Now, sadly, he looks like a chipper little skinhead. Which is worse, really, but the chop job was so bad (and right in the front!) that this was the only way to do it. I hope it grows quickly. I was on the verge of tears until I noticed he was on the verge of tears, at which point I tried to point out the benefits of this newly acquired 'do: it'll be easier to do tick checks, when he is grown and joins the military this is what his hair will look like for basic training, and he has a beautiful head. He's not sold on it. "But MOM, I don't even look like myself anymore!" He's right. He has always had a little Normal Rockwell haircut, and we really, really hate this para-military style. *sigh*

John has overcome his weekend meltdown and is completely enthralled with VBS. He bops and struts all over the place and the moment his eyes meet mine, he clamps down like the little German-Irish child he is and announced, "I don't want to go home! I want to stay here!" I swoop him into my arms, peck his chubby cheek and announce right back at him, "Oh, I'm so glad you've had a wonderful day! Tell me about it!" Fortunately, he's still young enough to fall for re-direction.

Jacob and I were going to have all manner of wonderful adventures during our three hours alone together this week. I was certain of it. He's sleeping. Again. Ah, well, next year, for sure!

We hit the library again yesterday. I picked up some new books (without the librarian's assistance) and spent the time before supper last night thoroughly lost in other worlds. I remember my sisters telling me that I wasn't filling out (I was a late bloomer, so to speak) because I spent all my time reading books. Evidently, you must engage in other pursuits in order to, erm, "fill out" at the proper time? Well, if books will keep the boys focused and away from "other pursuits" for a wee bit, then I'm buyin' a library!

And on that note, I need to go pick up my little adventurers and bring them back to the den of never ending scouring for a little slave labor and treats!

~Dy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it okay to leave a comment now? Poor, poor, James; at least he is being a trooper about his lack of hair.

Rebel
http://www.mindspring.com/~rebel_hart

Anonymous said...

3 words: sunscreen on head

Anonymous said...

Ack! How horrible that the barber *hid* it from you.

I took my four in for haircuts this week. (I used to do it at home, but it's less expensive here than in the States, and the boys are getting older and I'm not THAT good at haircutting. . .) Thankfully, there is a place right across the street from our building, and there's enougth dirt and grass right out front that the boys can play while the others are getting cuts.

They look so cute with new haircuts! (And my oldest DOES have a buzz--he's very much into having an "army guy" haircut. . .)

TulipGirl