Friday, December 25

'Twas The Night Before Christmas

Or, more accurately, 'Twas Ridiculously Early Christmas Morning. Doesn't have the same ring to it, though, does it?

Aside from not having actually mailed anything we needed to mail, we had everything done before midnight tonight. Gifts are wrapped, stockings are stuffed, children are loved on and passed out. (James and John were amazing Santa's Helpers this year, and they set up the gifts so nicely around the tree. They also ate all the snacks, so I had to break into the Emergency Stash after they went to bed.)

So why are we up? We're up because Santa brought one of those live critters this year, and it will not go to sleep. It's noisy, too. I angled for a guinea pig or a chinchilla or a garden gnome - you know, some relatively mute creature, but it looks like the kids were better than I was this year. It's been nearly two years since we lost Baltoid, and the kids are ready to share their adventures again. (They've actually been ready for a while, but Zorak and I have been putting it off. We weren't quite ready until now.)

But regardless of the lack of sleep, we're so excited about morning we can hardly stand to let the kids sleep. Zorak Claus outdid himself this year, and EmBaby's new play kitchen turned out beautifully. I'll get better shots of it with her enjoying it, but I just couldn't resist getting a shot of it sitting in the living room. It's got open pantry shelving, a fridge with two glass shelves (plexiglass, of course), the oven has a self-closing hinge, and the broiler drawer rocks! We cannibalized the range top from her defunct set simply because, although it's ugly, it does make a cool bubbling noise. When it dies, we'll pop it out and replace it with something we've made (We... *snort* OK, Zorak.) It's stained to match our kitchen cabinets and counter, too! So cute!

However, I guess we really should see if the pup will get some shuteye and then follow suit, ourselves.

Merry Christmas!
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Dy said...

Ha! OK, I bragged about the self-closing hinge, and then just noticed the oven door is open. The boys had been fiddling with it. All fixed now. :-P

H said...

Oh my word. That is even more beautiful than we'd imagined! Have a Merry Christmas!

Meliss said...

Wow, Zorak! That is a sweet kitchen set!

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

It is gorgeous! That is one lucky little girl. Merry merry Christmas to all of you!

Jenni said...

I love that play kitchen! I think that you could use it for something else once she's outgrown play kitchens, too. I was sitting here trying to figure out just what that nifty little cabinet was for. (I guess I didn't notice the range top in the first photo.)

Dy said...

Jenni, I do plan to mount it on the wall when she's "done" with it. We could use it for all kinds of wonderful things! I'll have to post pictures of it in the kitchen -- it matches our own kitchen just beautifully!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful play kitchen!!!

Anonymous said...

I wanna come play!! With the kitchen and the critter:)

Y'all have such great fun ~ thanks for sharing.

Happy Holidays.

Pamela