Thursday, April 16

Tea Party in Huntsville

The kids and I donned our civil disobedience garb (I kid - we just wore sensible shoes) and trekked to downtown Hunstville for yesterday's Tea Party. The police were out in force, but the biggest problem they had was keeping everyone within the boundaries of the area we'd reserved for the rally. We weren't being difficult. It's just that the turnout was fantastic, and the area we had available to us was just a might-bit packed. It was a sardine rally! Next time, we need a larger venue. The capitol building, perhaps?

We started out in the Way Back. I had Em in the stroller and Jase in the sling, and wasn’t up for wedging ourselves in. I've no desire to relive younger, concert-going days. (Not to mention, the fear I had of knocking over a sweet old lady and becoming the Problem Child of the Rally.) The big boys, however, wanted to *see* what was going on. So, they edged their way to the front. They didn’t have to edge very hard. The crowd happily let them through, and they ended up in the front row, with perfect seats to the whole thing.

They were close enough to read name tags (which I know they didn’t do, because when I mentioned to Zorak how great Dale Jackson’s emcee work was, they both said, “THAT was Dale JACKSON? COOL!”). So many things are wasted on the young, like having those big ol’ eyes and being short enough that people happily let you stand in front.

There were so many great signs, and so many friendly, encouraging people. And I really need two or three more arms. And another set of eyes. And... yep. I missed so much, just trying to make sure Smidge and Em didn't wander off to become Statistics. (My knees still ache a bit just thinking about that.) After the protest, though, I gave John the camera and turned him loose.

Everybody was helpful, friendly, and encouraging. This is the kind of change we need. The question now is whether we can keep the momentum up long enough to make it to the next Congressional Election.
Anyway, it was everything you’d expect from a rally attended by people who are big on Personal Responsibility. No vandalism, no rioting, no random fights. (Even the enthusiastic pack of Ron Paul supporters behaved quite well.*) We had to disperse much sooner than we were ready, but folks had to get back to work, and the permit for the space expired at one-thirty. However, it was great to see people from different groups all talking animatedly as they left, sharing ideas, arguing points, sharpening one another's thoughts, and lifting each other up.

Good stuff. The kids are ready to do more. And that, too, is good stuff.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

*About the Ron Paul supporters: awesome bunch!! It was the running joke, even amongst themselves, that they were the "rabble rousers", what with their unbridled enthusiasm and rampant humor. The volunteer security guys laughingly said if that was the worst of their worries, they were in for a very easy day. Completely awesome turnout from the Ron Paul crowd!!*

7 comments:

Konkadoo said...

How many were there? Our "media" estimates about 5,000 at ours, but the police there were calling it 7,000. They expected about 2,000. Wow!

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Oh cool! I wanted to go to one of these rallies, but the closest one to my house was too far away to walk to it. I'm glad you guys had such a great one and such a great turnout!

Dy said...

I think we had about 500-750 expected. The estimates I saw this morning put the crowd at around 2000. It was a great turnout!

Emily - yeah, if we'd had to walk to this one, we wouldn't have made it, either. ;-) Parking was *wild* - wow.

Meliss said...

Your opening sentence cracked me up! Thanks for the good report. We attended the Denver party, but I haven't blogged about it yet.

Anonymous said...

Somehow I thought you would go to the tea party ;-) I would have gone but we didn't have one close by.

Glad there was a good turnout.

Kathy

Jenni said...

My mom's been trying to get me to go to some of these events. I think there was one sometime this week in our area. Instead I spent the week workin' for The Man. I swore to uphold rules none of us really understood the extent of and was later told that if we saw a murder or kidnapping occurring while performing Census Bureau duties we could face a fine and jail time for reporting it. Gotta protect the PII and keep absolute confidentiality. Like me, most people said they would take the 5 years in jail if it came down to it (which I'm sure it wouldn't), but I was surprised that there were a few who wouldn't even if it meant saving a life. Then we learned that we would have to count tents, cardboard boxes, caves, and other temporary or makeshift structures that appeared to have someone living in them when we're doing the address canvassing. Oh well, I'm getting paid for this insanity, and it's not bad work unless I have to go to jail for reporting that someone's life is in danger.

Dy said...

Jeni, my jaw dropped reading this. Are they serious?!? Wow. There is no way I'd keep quiet. I wouldn't want someone to keep quiet if it were me, or my kids, in trouble. Phew. What a wild request. I'd do it, and shoot for jury nullification.

Melissa, I look forward to hearing about yours! The newspaper reported 3000 in attendance, and I talked to an attendee who said it's closer to 6000. Hopefully, someone with video footage will do a more accurate estimate. I'd love to know.