Monday, August 22

Quiet Afternoons

Zorak left today under a cloud of secrecy (or miscommunication - not sure which). He just called from his first stop, and he's fine. The boys and I let him off at the airport and headed out to find the local pharmacy - we drove the town from end to end and top to bottom without ever seeing a one of them, so we headed home, where, whaddya know, there's one right at the nearest intersection to the house!

I bought my once-every-six-years stash of new makeup while the boys perused the discount bins. Then we picked up the Holy Grail of the hot 'n sticky summer afternoon quest: an Activity Bucket. This Bucket is an entire afternoon's joy in one small, three dollar package. Craft sticks, chenille stems, pom pons, buggy eyes, keychain plastic straps and beads, along with - the highlight for this creativity-impaired mother of aspiring artists - an ideas book! SOLD! To the sucker with the three cute children an no creative flow!!

We came home and set up shop. While I sat, trying to adapt to the fact that popsicle sticks are now called "craft sticks" and colored pipe cleaners are now "chenille stems", the boys began gluing, beading, decorating. It was an explosion of joy and peaceful creativity! I would buy one of these bins a day for this result. I suppose I could just keep the empty bucket and refill it as it empties. That's probably the more responsible choice, although I really like the effortless step of opening a fresh bucket 'o fun without doing prep work!

It is about time for a fresh serving of our reading menu and my food-related book review system (yeah, which I'm sure y'all relate to and enjoy oh-so-thoroughly! It's ok, humor me.) We've been busy, busy reading since we've had a trip to the library, and it's felt good! I'll do that this evening, in the quiet that follows the bedtime melee*. Yep, with paper plumes and helmets. You'll never look at bedtime the same again!

It's time to make some pizza and enjoy a little relaxing lunch and a story. Then while Smidge naps, I think the boys and I will try to master making God's Eyes. (I remember making them as a child, but for the life of me cannot reproduce them! So, it's anybody's guess how well that's going to go.)

And tonight, a quiet night. A routine-filled night. But a night with no Daddy stories for sleepy boys, and then I'll have gather every pillow in the house to figure out how to prop up my big ol' belly on my own without Zorak (he's a husband, a father, a belly prop: he's Super Dad!) And we'll miss him this week.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy


Mel'ee \M[^e]`l['e]e"\, n. A cavalry exercise in which two groups of riders try to cut paper plumes off the helmets of their opponents, the contest continuing until no member of one group retains his plume; -- sometimes called Balaklava m[^e]l['e]e.

4 comments:

melissa said...

Wonderful post! I am sitting here at the beach house with my sister, and got a bit tongue tied when she asked me whose blog I was reading. I said. "Bly's". Thats Dy +Blog. Bly Dogger?? Race get's home tomorrow!!!(excited squeal).

Sheila said...

Hey, maybe you need to hook me up with one of these magic buckets.
ZooDad is heading to Germany next week and we will need extra distrations.
Here's God's Eyes instructions. How sad is it that I had this in my bookmarks for scouts.http://www.makingfriends.com/godseyes.htm
Same site has lots of cool print, cut, past stuff for little boys.

Laney said...

Sounds like fun was had by all!!

I hope this time without Super Dad "flies" by! Oh, I am so punny, I just can't stand myself!

Anonymous said...

Hello Dy, take a look at this fantastic ebook on beading. It is great both for Beginner Beaders and Pros alike. There are 2 great bonuses being given away on purchase which should not be missed. You’ve got a great Blog here, don’t stop.