Thursday, May 12

Specto bike wreck, art and family. Wee!

Look! Blogging before midnight! What an odd sensation...

Latin was great today. The boys made their first "sentence": Specto septem lunae. Ok, so we don't technically have seven moons to look at. But it's a J-Brothers Original, and they took the initiative. Oh, and Smidge joined in with us today, uttering "dom-ae, nos" every once in a while. Zorak may never admit in public that he knows me if this child speaks Latin before he speaks English...

OK. The skinny on the Art Museum is simple: we are in love. The displays are great, there is plenty of room to back up, walk forward, back up again. They have a wonderful setting for the Audubon birds, an interactive selection of books to accompany William Joyce's art, and docents to die for. So there goes one membership slot!

The boys reactions were funny. James put his hands on his hips, looked around the Audubon gallery, and said, "So, these are the ones he didn't destroy, huh?" We read a biography of James John Audubon earlier in the year and evidenly James was impressed (either positively, or he was dismayed, either way it made an impression) that for many years, Audubon would save his sketches for an entire year and then, deeming them unfit to be seen, he would burn each and every one at the end of that year.

John fell in love with the modern art display, particularly the sculptures. Smidge even handled it well, considering... well, just considering. He's one and can't touch anything. How fun can that be? Plus, I was a bit high-strung today in general, which probably didn't help.

We came home for lunch and our first major bike wreck. So much for my master plan to enjoy giving them more space and freedom. Now I plan to ensconce them in bubble wrap and keep them chilled for the next 20 or 30 years. Oh, alright, not really. But it is tempting. We are way in the back of the complex, and there is a parking nook between two buildings. We have three windows that open directly into the nook, and at its most packed there are three cars parked in it, one of which is ours. So when the boys asked if they could ride on the black (meaning the asphalt) while I put Smidge down for his nap, I wrangled and wrestled with my inner control freak and finally decided that by opening ALL the windows so I can hear what's going on, giving both boys whistles to blow if they need help, reminding them that "no adult will ever need the help of a child when Mommy isn't right there", making them recite the safety rules, the behavior rules, and the Code of Hammurabi, it would be ok.

I peeked in on them and they were fine. I heard no fighting, no cars, and no tears. Twenty minutes after they went out, James came in through the patio door. He was slathered in blood. I'm talking B-rate movie special effects quantity of blood. His chin looked like it was off-center by about half an inch (turned out to be swelling and his chin is still where God intended it to be). He said to me, very calmly, "Mom, I lost my balance. And, um, I think I'm bleeding pretty bad." I honestly do not know how he managed to do this much damage to his body by simply tipping over on his bike. It's a short bike! He has scrapes on the right side of his face, his chin is torn up something fierce, both forearms, a quarter-sized gouge out of his right thigh, gashes on the inside of his left ankle, and when I helped him switch out his shirt for a fresh one, his upper body looks like that of a prize fighter! Good heck, child! Thankfully, nothing is broken or chipped or gaping. It's mostly superficial, although that chin is gonna hurt for a while. *shudder*

He has been a trooper about the whole thing, and even joked with Zorak that he lost his balance but thinks he can find it again. I'm glad he's getting back on that horse - he's far more daring and self-confident than I was at his age, I can tell you that. Zorak, of coure, knew just how to handle it when he got home, and showed James all the cool scars he has from bike wrecks he had as a little boy. It helps to know Dad survived childhood, too.

I called churches this morning and found one we will try on Sunday. The secretary is wonderfully friendly, although her math is a bit off. She said they have about 100 members, probably 50 families in all. And tons of children. Huh. That's weird. Maybe the aren't counting the children? She did say they have only two teens in their "youth group" right now, but have a large brood of children in the boys' ages. At any rate, aside from the quantitative confusion, the qualitative results of the initial visit were encouraging. I'll let you know how it goes.

And that, my friends, is about all the news I can handle today. I'm going to bed.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

18 comments:

CarolynM said...

When you or I were the age of James, we were GIRLS who totally freaked out at even the mention of blood! What is it about guys and scars??? You'd think they were medals!

Di said...

I read at the WTM about your Mother As EMT experience and wanted to drop in and offer condolences. Three of my five are boys, and we have had done BLOOD in abundance around here. I wasn't anywhere near a sissy girl, but never came up with the boo-boos we have accomplished in 13 1/2 years of parenting boys. They are death-defying (please, Lord), bike-riding, tree climbing, limb endangering creatures, and MAN! do they help my prayer life.

I hope your Unbalanced Man hops back on the horse tomorrow and finds his bike-riding groove.

Take care,
Diane

Kim said...

I hope your patient recovers, and his EMT technician, too.

There is something going on in my neighbourhood that you will chuckle about. There is a town nearby where Bikers gather every Friday the 13th. There will literally be thousands upon thousands of bikers congregating in a little fishing town not far from me. I've seen them making their way toward the town over the course of the last two days.

I'm soooo tempted to go down there and ask one of them to borrow a bike and a jacket and photograph myself just for you....but alas, I'm probably too shy to ask!

Thom said...

Awww. Poor James(and poor you!). What a little trooper! And good thinking on Zorak's part to share his little badges of past courage and valor to help James regain his confidence.

..."think he can find it again"--too cute!

Jean in Wisconsin said...

...so I come upstairs to check out my computer after spending the morning rushing around trying to get a few things done and find my daughter reading your blog (it's bookmarked). She's laughing and telling me about your moving to Huntsville. Huh? Huntsville? I guess I've not been reading blogs for a while. She goes on to tell me about the "poor math" and all...

I think I need to get out of my little "hole" and read more often. LOL! She knows more about what is happening "out there" than I do...

O.K. off to visit a few folks...

Jean

Amy said...

Dy, all I have to say is OH BROTHER! I love the sentence (even though I didn't know what it meant - he he).

I hate to tell you this, but I also love the bike wreck. Not that your wee one was hurt which is horrifying of course, but just the pure boyness of it. Same as the frog catching incident of Luke's, or the way they smell after playing in the grass all day. The bangs and bruises go right with it - pure boy!

I hope he heals up soon and you can watch the back of him pedaling away without developing an ulcer from now on!

Mental multivitamin said...

Stopped by to see the fuss. Delete, Dy. You're the webmaster here.

Hey, and a loooong time ago, you posted a message about the BOB Awards; you mentioned M-mv. That was awfully nice. Many thanks.

Health and happiness in your new home.

MFS

Anonymous said...

(rasping out his best Marlon Brando Godfather accent) Dy, you just let us know if somebody needs to be, you know, cyber-taken care of. We, you know, know people. Why right now I've got an angry Pirate Woman who weilds a gallon-sized paint can like it was a purse. You just say the word. You're family.

LH said...

Hi Dy I came over to see the fuss too!

And I have to admit, my mind went through the same thought process as Anonymous - but that's a hazard of studying Latin. You start to *see* how the sentences work.

Oh wait. That's the Good Thing about studying Latin. You see more Latin Grammar as you go. I got all fluffed up about it myself -- I didn't know heck about Latin twelve months ago!

But that isn't the point now is it.

Looks as if you've got a Free bloger-site and a Free Latin tutor all-in-one. Is that a Blogger service? Where do I sign up? Where's my Latin tutor? In fact, if the Free Blogger Composition Tutor is reading, head on over to my blog and take over Teaching Writing for my student! Maybe I can get a little break ? ? ? *wink*

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I had to come see what the ruckus what all about too. How could anyone focus on the incorrect grammar of that sentence?! (ALthough I am glad to see what it means- I knew it had to do with seeing something, but other than that, I was lost, I can admit it;-).) But too be honest, I was too busy laughing at the line about knowing the Code of Hammurabi, in addition to the safety rules! It's a good thing I have learned to chew all my food *before* I read your blog!
I agree with MFS- you rule this roost- delete the post, take a deep breath and let it go, and just keep talking to all of the rest of us who love your blog!
LB

Anonymous said...

Ps. I love the puppdaddy, ummm, I mean Puppfather's thoughts! I am not big enough to beat any body up, but I could trip them and make them fall down, so it'd be easier for the Puppfather to get 'em!!
LB

Di said...

I like Puppdaddy's suggestion (-: Can you sing with me, "We are fam-il-ee, I've got all my sisters with me..."

Delete any of us that get snarky, and get back on that lovely front porch with a huge glass of something tasty. I'd much rather hear of life from your perspective than the analyzing what everyone is doing wrong perspective.

Let it go -- and bring on the joy.

DIane

L said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
L said...

And anyway, Anonymous, it's "genitive." So there.

Kiss those booboos! :)

Laney said...

I can see that I am not alone in wanting to see what the ruckus was!!!

Dy, I think you are wonderful, I think your boys are fabulous and shame on the anonymous lambaster!!!

Have a wonderful evening!
Laney

Sheila said...

Man...I am so envious. Your kids are already making Latin sentences, they will actually ride their bikes without forcing you to watch their every move...AND you're found a church home. I feel woefully inadequate.
I’m glad that the little guy is ok.

Staci Eastin said...

Ever seen Monty Python's Life of Brian, where Brian is trying to write graffiti that says something along the lines of "Rome Sucks" in Latin, and the Roman soldier comes along and starts correcting him?

I think you ought to take Puppdaddy up on his offer.

Have a great day, and I'm glad James is okay.

Staci

lochan said...

What a great day (despite the scrapes and blood)!

My kids are six and ten and I would've been impressed with that Latin sentence! They like to make jokes like "Stand by for Cheesius Maximus!" (cheese in our family is the term for passing gas). And, I'm happy they're saying Maximus!